Ph meter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muz

Reaction score
I'm interested to know the difference too. I have a Testo 206 which set me back around $200 but it recently met a concrete floor and I'm dreading the repair bill.

I assume the main difference is effort required to maintain calibration. My Testo for example, has a bed of electrolyte fluid in the housing so when storing the meter, the probe is being properly cared for. Extra time and effort probably required to protect the probe, replace it, and calibrate it in these cheaper versions.

I'm interested to know the difference too. I have a Testo 206 which set me back around $200 but it recently met a concrete floor and I'm dreading the repair bill.

I assume the main difference is effort required to maintain calibration. My Testo for example, has a bed of electrolyte fluid in the housing so when storing the meter, the probe is being properly cared for. Extra time and effort probably required to protect the probe, replace it, and calibrate it in these cheaper versions.
I also have the testo and have never needed to recalibrate it. I just check every few brews with the calibration solutions and it has always been spot on.

I have read of quite a few people who have got the cheap yellow one and had them for a couple of years say they are good and accurate, if you need a new electrode that may set you back almost as much as a new meter. I just didn't want to get caught out with no meter, they are cheap so good for emergencies.

I have been going to buy a pH meter for a long time, then along comes one of these threads and scares the crap out of me. I have heard so many stories about cheap and expensive meters I have no idea what to get, and the fact I'm not that cashed up to buy a top of the wizzer.

I have been going to buy a pH meter for a long time, then along comes one of these threads and scares the crap out of me. I have heard so many stories about cheap and expensive meters I have no idea what to get, and the fact I'm not that cashed up to buy a top of the wizzer.
Here's something to spook you further Batz.. One drop and two hunj down the drain. Although not everyone is a clumsy idiot like myself.
20171211_140858.jpg

Here's something to spook you further Batz.. One drop and two hunj down the drain. Although not everyone is a clumsy idiot like myself.
View attachment 110348

But shit does happen hey? And I'm not all that lucky atm.

But shit does happen hey? And I'm not all that lucky atm.
Bloody oath. I'm likely to sell it on and buy cheapies instead, it's either that or no more drinking while I brew and that'll never happen.

It all depends on what you expect to get out of having a pH meter. If all you want is something to get ballpark figures to learn what you need to do on brewday and then stick to your routine without ongoing use of the meter, then a Chinese cheapie might be just the ticket.

You can get ones with 3 point calibration and 0.01pH resolution and claimed +/- 0.01pH accuracy for under AU$10 delivered from China.

At those prices, you can probably get the cheapie first and then make up your mind as to whether you need something better.

Last edited:
I stopped using my $50 one a while ago basically because I couldn't be assed buying the calibration stuff all the time and also the storage solution seems to be expensive. They are high maintenance IMHO and a continuous cost.
Edit: I haven't looked for a while but the buffer solution looks pretty cheap for just 4.00 and 6.86.
Edit Edit: the storage solition looks pretty cheap too. I take it back :D

Last edited:
Hopefully this one will be ok.

Professional Handheld Splashproof Digital pH Meter Temperature High Accuracy /-0.05PH with Replaceable Electrode
http://s.aliexpress.com/eE3iMfIb
(from AliExpress Android)
Same as the one I have. Works great until I got lazy and stopped using it. You do have to keep an eye on the probe to make sure it doesn't dry out. The cap only holds a few drops of storage solution. Don't keep it in a hot garage if you can. [emoji18]

I'm hearing ya.
Does anyone have or has had a cheapie like posted by wide eyed and legless in post #5?

or this?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Digital...hash=item4d5542d45b:m:mALlcUuSwuBL0CIqPByXAmQ
Yes, I have them. The first one wasn't registering at first, then I complained and got a second one for free. I decided to give the first one a warm water rinse and what do you know, it works. So now I have 2.

I haven't tested it against ph strips so I can't say how accurate it is, but at least for plain water it registers within the ball park figure of 7. From what WEAL posted (looks to be the same yellow ones), they seem accurate enough.

As far as build is concern, they seem fine, just don't drop them as the glass is very fragile.

Yeah, saw those mate. Isn't it true that to use them, there is some sort of solution that needs to be made up every time...
No, I read of a good trick on another site, I think they used white vinegar to calibrate or test it, if you have a bottle of vinegar (pH 2.4) before use test it on the vinegar if its 2.4 you know its good to go. And if you ad alkaline to the vinegar to get pH 4 and 7 then you have the calibration solution, something like that anyway, have to try and find the post.

Latest posts

Back