Petition the ACCC

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labels

Reaction score
With the impending buyout of SABMiller by AB InBev it reminds me of just how much power there is the hands of multinationals. The new InBev is monstrous beyond belief.

Tap contracts have always been a problem in Australia. With almost all taps in pubs and clubs across the country controlled by just two brewers and Coopers usually picking up the one free tap, it is time to nudge the ACCC on adopting the same practice as they do in UK and USA and ban this unfair practice. It's anti-competitive to the extreme.

Submit your complaint here http://www.accc.gov.au/contact-us/contact-the-accc/general-enquiry-form

Breweries tend to "pay" for the install of he taps so the Hotelier feels "obliged" to serve their beer

Its completly fucked

So what's the ACCC going to do about it, unleash some rottweiler like this former go getting Arnold Schwarzenegger lookalike to kick their arses? Don't make me laugh.

cretin.jpg

You mean the same ACCC who cry crocodile tears from the sidelines whilst Coles and Woolworths enjoy a duopoly and drive Aussie primary producers and smaller grocers to the wall?
As noted. Paper ******* tigers.

Or the same ACCC that look into the soaring petrol prices coincidentally before a long weekend?

They do a good job, of rubbing the peoples noses in shitty realities. Spread an awareness that we get screwed over a lot yeah thanks for that.
Your taxes well spent?

Isnt this shit why we homebrew in the first place?

So we don't have to drink commercial beer, enjoy something we have control of, and, during consumption, lessen the blow of the (admittedly generally pretty good) reality that we are faced with every day?

- boingk

boingk said:
Isnt this shit why we homebrew in the first place?

So we don't have to drink commercial beer, enjoy something we have control of, and, during consumption, lessen the blow of the (admittedly generally pretty good) reality that we are faced with every day?

- boingk
It is, but what about all the mega swill drinkers out there that don't make their own.
Every single pub & club selling the same crap because their set up was financed by the big two. So for the next 24 months, most, if not all taps are offerings from the big boys. It's only after the contract has expired that enables the establishment to then look at alternatives. It's piss poor practice but from an operational & financial point of view, who wouldn't take up the offer of $10,000+ for a set up. There's not a lot of Micro choice here at the moment but that's about to change.

Crusty said:
It is, but what about all the mega swill drinkers out there that don't make their own.
Every single pub & club selling the same crap because their set up was financed by the big two. So for the next 24 months, most, if not all taps are offerings from the big boys. It's only after the contract has expired that enables the establishment to then look at alternatives. It's piss poor practice but from an operational & financial point of view, who wouldn't take up the offer of $10,000+ for a set up. There's not a lot of Micro choice here at the moment but that's about to change.
If the big boys make a contract to install the taps and then supply the beer there is basically **** all the ACCC can do about it

The big guys know full well that micro's cant afford to spend $10-20k per establishment to out there beer on dedicated taps and if a publican gets the offer to get brand new taps, lines, glycol paid for then I am pretty sure I know which way they will go. Business is business after all It even happens at the local shop with the paddle pop freezer

And at the end of the day, most pubs will sell shit loads of mega brew over micro beer, cause thats what the punters drink. They want there XXXX, NEW, VB Carlton.

If a pub just put on micro beers then it will be a fast way to go broke for the majority

Micro beers may be far better etc. etc......but if only 1 out of 10 will drink it then your going to go broke very quickly

Ding ding ding, bzzzzzz reeeoorh reeooorh, wah wah.
That's the sound of the pokies, TAB and kids room at the local pub nowadays, ....reminds me of a Pink Floyd song...
I'm seeing quite a few tap/ale house type establishments popping up that seem to be carving out a niche in the "craft brew" scene. People are actively seeking real beer nowadays. Pubs, live music and cheap (not so much these days) beer are a necessity. Real beer is out there, it's just quieter, less congested, less bouncers, less dickheads, less in your face bright lights and advertising. I think there's room for both.

Unfortunatly micro/craft beer is a bit like the local corner store

Most people go to Coles/Woolies

Definitely agree with you there Stu, but craft brew is definitely in the up and up, 20% annual increase or something along those lines in the U.S.
I could be wrong but craft beer has taken a foothold.
Wine tastes like shit...enter the beer snob,

...I have led a fairly sheltered life, I still get frightened by buskers.

Craft beer may be on the up and thats a good thing......But remember that Coopers is now considered mainstream and they only have about 10% of the market

Craft beer has a very very small market share and it doesnt take much for their market share to increase...if they sell 10 kegs a week and all of a sudden they sell 11 kegs they have made a 10% increase in sales....

Its all relative I guess

I might be wrong and would happily be corrected but it seems to me like it's sort of the opposite of the typical 'Globocorp' scenario when it comes to beer. I'm of the understanding that mainstream beer has had the monopoly for decades and now; in recent times craft beer has been attracting more and more consumers, IPA's are right up there as one of the most popular beer styles in demand.
As long as real beer is allowed to grow and not be stifled by the heavyweights commercial influences I hopefully see craft brewing as a long term niche.

At 77m litres, Coopers has 5% of the Australian beer market (as at Jan 2015). At a guess, the next biggest is either Asahi or Gage Roads and they're at least an order of magnitude smaller (in this market). If there's demand for 'craft beer', the pub simply offers a tap or three of JS, Little Creatures, Matilda Bay etc. everyone except the micros and us beer nerds are happy

The beer orders which transformed the UK beer market didn't arise from a competition watchdog but because of CAMRA getting enough pollies on board (a fair few being pretty passionate about a traditional pint) and Thatchers fervour for a free market economy. Can't see anything similar happening here.

I reckon we're closer to the U.S. 20 years ago, with an increasing demarcation between the traditional megaswill bars (ours with pokies and the TAB) for the masses and craft only venues for those craving flavour. Don't forget that craft in the US is only a little over 10% of the market; the rest remains pale, fizzy, flavourless, lagers

Back