PET vs glass.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottles made specially for beer have a layer of a related plastic sandwiched in, that reduces oxygen permeability. I've never had problems with the brown beer style bottles.
Before I went to kegging I used soft drink 2L and 1.25L bottles that made good little Mini-kegs but I wouldn't use them for long term storage or maturation.

This year I've decided to go all-glass for my competition entries as some of them will be matured for up to 3 months. This means having to buy and drink a fair amount of Coopers Sparkling. Oh the humanity.

I know its been said before, but I've had no issues with carbonation in PET, must be the seals or under primed, or as you say to eager to drink them :)

Cheers
Jay

Bribie G said:
This year I've decided to go all-glass for my competition entries as some of them will be matured for up to 3 months. This means having to buy and drink a fair amount of Coopers Sparkling. Oh the humanity.
Commiserations

I've recently gone the other direction, even gave my capper away. It's either growler / keg for home use or PET for comp entries.

A bit late into the conversation but I've never had any issues carbing up in PET. I use 1.25-2l soft drink bottles for all my brews, hell the cider comes out overcarbonated (priming with juice, my fault etc), pouring that into a pint you get half cider half froth at worst.

I'm not too sure about conditioning or storing brews in the plastic, mine seem to disappear before I get to that point...

Back