Pet Longevity

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodderz

Reaction score
Gday peoples

A quick question on the PET bottles that come with the Coopers Kits...for those that use them how many uses would they last, over time would they get weaker and be more prone to exploding during secondary in the bottle? Do you replace just the caps every few times as they may be a weak point?

I realise that glass bottles (Grolsch, king browns etc) work better but considering I got a few boxes of the PET bottles I may as well use them

btw.... after the lager mishap on the 1st brew (fermented too high...but surprisingly wastnt too bad a taste!) I have done a Pale Ale which tuned out a treat, very similar to the stubby I had out the other night.

Thanks to you guys I been fermenting at much lower temp....which will be a definate for the Bavarian Lager which I'll be doing next

cheers
Rod :party:

hi rodderz
im currently using coopers pet bottles along side glass and have used them for 3 brews so far with no probs.same caps as well.i believe there is a recommended usage but i havent hit it yet.

cheers
big d

I am going to glass but have used the Coopers Pet with great sucess for a year and will probably continue to .

Coopers PET:-
1)Light easy to handle dont break if you drop em
2)I like to store my bottles in a bedroom in the house where temp is cooler and no risk of them exploding and staining the carpet .
3) makes my hand sore screwing the tops on tight
4) no problems with flavour
5) dont use bottle brussh may scratch inside rinse immediately when used.

Glass:-
1)Carbonates quicker
2)glass gives better presentation.
3)I find quicker to cap.
4) can open the bottle with muy teeth ( only joking)

Pumpy

Just as an Experiment i loaded Half a PET bottle with sugar syrup then added yeast. within a few days the bottle was bulging pretty bad but did not explode. (my intention was to make it explode ).

I suppose one advatage of PET Bottles is plastic flexes more before it POP's so you can see if there is going to be an imminent explosion.

Latest posts

Back