PET Kegs and more

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 on the market research statement. Just keep in mind that people with less space haven't bought any kegs yet. I may be one of a kind, or I may be one of an untapped market?

Regardless, good luck, I hope the product is a success and it's great seeing locally made products whether they're for me or not.
Look I hear you and have been very mindful of those with less space. It is something that is in our thoughts as many people in this world are not blessed with garages, garden sheds or even a decent size laundry. Just not enough hours in the day to do the lot but that market you talk about is very much worth considering.

I have one of the fermenter king juniors. Filled it up yesterday.
Is it now locked in place until I empty it, or can i pick it up by the plastic handles to move it somewhere else?

A competitor of ours suggested on AHB recently for people to try using one of our low cost fermenters in a trial to see how well beer would store for 3-6 months. We cannot gauge the motive behind this accurately but suspect that it was not to be for our benefit. Also as the competitor sells their own PET fermenters why would they not suggest the trial be done in one of theirs?

I think that people are after a combination of SHAPE (same size as a typical Corny keg), PORTABILITY (lightweight vs SS), OPACITY (being able to see the volume left over in the keg) and Low/No OXYGEN INGRESS.

I find it obvious why anyone would suggest that your product be trialled, as it's the closest available for all of those features. All other fermenters are the wrong shape to assimilate into existing kegerators. Maybe it's a compliment?

If you can design something that has the above, then I'll buy 5 today. Light exposure can be managed in my current setup, and would take translucent over opaque any day. The silver ones mentioned previously I would not buy, as I currently value reading volumes higher than the other desirable features - but that's just me.

Great work - and thanks for uploading pictures / designs. Plenty of us aren't on bookFace and appreciate the updates here.

PET mini kegs. The ss ones are all poorly designed - too tall once the disconnect lid thing is attached.

There is a definite market for kegs that fit in shared fridge spaces.

Could a PET mini keg be designed to lay on its side?

A dedicated horizontal keg:
With a 'this way up' design that meant it didn't need any tubing inside (Can use a check-valve ball lock connector for the gas side)- I'd put money down today. Upon reflection, this would be a greater priority than the opacity, for my circumstances...

A dedicated horizontal keg:
With a 'this way up' design that meant it didn't need any tubing inside (Can use a check-valve ball lock connector for the gas side)- I'd put money down today. Upon reflection, this would be a greater priority than the opacity, for my circumstances...
Possibly could work with a PET keg, just a thought but something like a 90 degree s/steel dip tube on the gas post pointing up to/touching the topmost edge of the keg below the shoulder. The chime would have to be removed and a shorter liquid dip tube. Being clear the gas dip tube could be placed spot on. Maybe even at a very slight angle and the gas dip tube situated right on the edge of the shoulder, making it the highest point.
The liquid tube would have to be kept at the original length if on an angle.

I think that people are after a combination of SHAPE (same size as a typical Corny keg), PORTABILITY (lightweight vs SS), OPACITY (being able to see the volume left over in the keg) and Low/No OXYGEN INGRESS.

I find it obvious why anyone would suggest that your product be trialled, as it's the closest available for all of those features. All other fermenters are the wrong shape to assimilate into existing kegerators. Maybe it's a compliment?

If you can design something that has the above, then I'll buy 5 today. Light exposure can be managed in my current setup, and would take translucent over opaque any day. The silver ones mentioned previously I would not buy, as I currently value reading volumes higher than the other desirable features - but that's just me.

Great work - and thanks for uploading pictures / designs. Plenty of us aren't on bookFace and appreciate the updates here.
Well the translucent ones are available off the shelf right now. In a couple of weeks we will also have a 30 litre version which is only $10 more. You can get one of the 30 and one of the 20 into a standard fridge without any problems.

As far as it being a "compliment " I am 100% certain it was not intended as such but I am very happy to accept it as one. I will put it together with the "imitiation is the sincerest form of flattery" which keeps us well and truly flattered.

Well the translucent ones are available off the shelf right now.
Nah, they are 40mm too wide. I'd go from 3 kegs in my fridge down to 2...
Plus you've said the oxygen barrier is good enough, but not the best at the moment.

Worth considering for a Chrissy present, but not for wholesale replacement of my current setup.
Cheers for the prompt reply!

Wow saw the thread topic and though hmm this sounds good. Boy was I wrong! Got hall way through the first paragraph and not couldn't give a crap about this.

I was thinking about purchasing your new C02 cylinder but I've just changed my mind.

Wow saw the thread topic and though hmm this sounds good. Boy was I wrong! Got hall way through the first paragraph and not couldn't give a crap about this.

I was thinking about purchasing your new C02 cylinder but I've just changed my mind.

Well that has ruined my friday night.

C83C7705-FC87-43D3-AF86-D6700A5A66CA.jpeg
C83C7705-FC87-43D3-AF86-D6700A5A66CA.jpeg

Last edited:
Great idea, can save a panic when the gas runs out. I will be up for one, unless Trump wins the election, then I will change my mind.:fallingoffchair:

I, for one would love a few 9.5Lt pet kegs
I would be more than happy to test a keg/s for you

another thought for the pet kegs Would it be possible for them to be made squaredto make it easier to squeeze them into a fridge/freezer?
Also if you were looking at a horizontal keg even one side flattened off would stop it from rolling I. The fridge thus ensuring the relevant pickups stay in the required position

I, for one would love a few 9.5Lt pet kegs
I would be more than happy to test a keg/s for you

another thought for the pet kegs Would it be possible for them to be made squaredto make it easier to squeeze them into a fridge/freezer?
Also if you were looking at a horizontal keg even one side flattened off would stop it from rolling I. The fridge thus ensuring the relevant pickups stay in the required position
Oh man thats a great idea. Even just a square "sleeve" that sits over the keg if pressure and corners don't mix.

Good thinking 99!

Remember what happened to the De Havilland Comet Airliners with square windows
Just a little before my time!
Maybe not squared but with flattened sides maybe🤷‍♂️ Will may be able to provide some clarification on that.

Fairly obvious that circles are the best way to keep things strong but with our process one could make something that could have corners. Question is could we sell the 100,000 that makes it worth to do the tooling. Will certainly put it on the list though.

Oh man thats a great idea. Even just a square "sleeve" that sits over the keg if pressure and corners don't mix.

Good thinking 99!
Not 99 more like 86, just a bumbling idiot that has the (very) occasional worthwhile idea

Remember what happened to the De Havilland Comet Airliners with square windows
Stress fractures in aluminium due to stress concentration in sharp corners due to the cyclic loading of pressureisation and de-pressurisation. Aluminum alloys have very poor fatigue life, stainless steels are much better, plastics?

Fairly obvious that circles are the best way to keep things strong but with our process one could make something that could have corners. Question is could we sell the 100,000 that makes it worth to do the tooling. Will certainly put it on the list though.
Would it be better to make round kegs and then sell a plastic "sleeve" that fits over to make a square. Like a round peg in a square hole hahaha.

Then you only need to tool up for 1x keg and 1x sleeve? Dunno just a thought

Latest posts

Back