Pet Heating Pads For Your Fermenter.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70

Le roi est mort..
Reaction score
There seems to be plenty of these about for cheap on e bay for your dog, cat or reptile. Thermostatically controlled and all.
Anybody here use them?
The only problem I can see is holding 25L of wort at the correct temperature takes a lot more oomph than keeping a sleeping dog or lizard comfy.
Unless you own a particularly large, fat cold dog or Komodo dragon that is.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Warm-Warmer-Hea...=item1e6773fd69

I use an cheaper version in my fermenting fridge - Link. Plugged in to a STC-1000, probe taped to the fermenter in the pic below.

It keeps ales ticking along at 20C in the depths on a chilly Adelaide Hills winter out in the shed.

fermentingfridgesetup.jpg

Just be careful with the cheap china ones on eBay...I have had some with dodgy wiring and short things out or just get superhot on weird places ect

I've got a reptile heating pad, a little smaller than Dr Smurto's. Works well. I bought mine from a pet shop so paid a little more than I would have on ebay.

edit: my fermenting fridge only holds 1 fermenter so the smaller heat pad is heating a smaller volume. I would look at getting a bigger heat pad if the fridge itself was larger.

In the end I decided to go with a cheap plastic container from Bunnings, and a mid range 125w fish tank heater so I could have more precise control.
Set it on 24 and that's what we've got. Amazing eh?

While we're at it, does anybody reckon that's about right for a 3711 you want to finish fruity and dry?
I'll be bottling this batch also, so they'll have a little time under their caps before guzzling.

DSC_4352.jpg

Back