Pet Cpbf Issues

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickB

I haven't had a C**t all night, Drinkstable....
Reaction score
Hi,

Have had a PET Counter Pressure Bottle Filler for more than a year now, no issues to report.

Yesterday, I went to fill a couple of bottles to take to a brew day, and all I'm getting is foam in the bottles. I've checked gas pressure, checked for leaks. I'm lost!

Never had any problems, but now it's foaming badly. I'm very sure my kegs aren't over-carbonated as they pour fine, and I've pulled the filler apart as much as I can to check for blockages....

Can anyone shed any light on what the hell is happening???

If not, i've already resigned myself to the fact I'm going to buy a new one, as I use it a few times a month for BABBs and for comps every year....

I'm lost! HELP!

Cheers

It could only be the pressure in the bottle being too low before the filling Nick, at least that's how I nut it out. Is the pressure leaking out during the fill?

Batz

No not at all Jeff. Even when you pour into a jug (ie: nothing in the filler itself) it's foaming like a *******.... Not sure what the issue is but I'm ready to chuck the damn thing!!

How's your connection at the out QD on the keg. Could be drawning air there - any dripping?

The times when I've had it foam up on me was if I've got the relief valve open to much. Just throwing out ideas -

To me it sounds like a pressure issue - as if you a pouring out a normal tap into the bottle - there's not the gas pressure present in the system to keep the gas in solution.
Will it pour into the bottle with the relief valve closed? If so might indicate a leak and therefore the transfer isn't truly under pressure.
Made sure the gas to the CBPF is on and has pressure?

Is the tubing nice and clean especially as it enters the bottle. Could be a source of nucleation of the gas. Similarly the bottles themselves.

Does it look like it's foaming in the beer line before it gets to the CPBF? If so could be problem with the disconnect and beer out post.

Yep, some foaming in the line to the filler, but it's on a John Guest MFL connector... Might just pull every component apart and see if we get some success. Thanks guys!

Cheers

Nick, have you given any thought that it may have something to do with the warm weather of the past few days?

cheers

Browndog

Not really Tony. My filler is mounted directly on the collar of my chest freezer, and I do stick my bottles in the freezer for a few mins. I'm honestly stumped! Might try getting out at 4am one morning and see how the foaming is... ;)

Cheers

Not really Tony. My filler is mounted directly on the collar of my chest freezer, and I do stick my bottles in the freezer for a few mins. I'm honestly stumped! Might try getting out at 4am one morning and see how the foaming is... ;)

Cheers

I assume you have a fan in your kegorator Nick.

Nick are you geeting the same issue across a few different kegs or just the one? To me it sounds like it isnt equalising the pressure in the bottle. Can you up the pressure in the bottle so it won't transfer from the keg then back off the PET bottle pressure and let it fill?

You probably have tried just askin.

Cheers

If its foaming in your beer out line you might be overcarbed in the keg?

(Foaming in the line surely means the cpbf is fine).

I've just set mine up today, I purge the co2 a couple of times until bottle is hard, turn the bleed valve of, turn handle around so beer starts to fill, then I turn the valve back on and all the beer from the line goes back into the keg, I can only manage to fill half a bottle, any ideas would be good.

I've just set mine up today, I purge the co2 a couple of times until bottle is hard, turn the bleed valve of, turn handle around so beer starts to fill, then I turn the valve back on and all the beer from the line goes back into the keg, I can only manage to fill half a bottle, any ideas would be good.

you have more pressure in the bottle than the eg, for me I have the one with a 3 way valve and stopper, I run the gas and beer lines from the keg I'm filling the bottle from, that way the pressure "SHOULD" be equal.

filled two today no problems.
purged bottle, turned to fill and just cracked the bleed valve to fill.
no problems. both with minimal foaming.
have mine on a t piece with my spare line.

Jason you need gas going to the filler and to the keg your drawing from.

Jason you need gas going to the filler and to the keg your drawing from.
Hi Brad, I have got a two way divider, gas from reg comes into the single hole, then I have got one line going to the filler, and one line on the keg.
Jason

Hi Brad, I have got a two way divider, gas from reg comes into the single hole, then I have got one line going to the filler, and one line on the keg.
Jason
All sorted, I was following the diagram it came with, it was backward, found another one, it works perfectly, just had the gas line on the blow off tube

Got mine working again by pulling it down, cleaning everything, and reassembling. Seems I am only having real issues with kegs near empty, which is the same issue I have when pouring from them - excess foam.

No idea what the problem was, but all OK now.

Cheers

Got mine working again by pulling it down, cleaning everything, and reassembling. Seems I am only having real issues with kegs near empty, which is the same issue I have when pouring from them - excess foam.

No idea what the problem was, but all OK now.

Cheers

They are called perlicks, and mine just arrived!!!!

Cant wait to try them....

Back