PET Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt D

Reaction score
I've been reading an old post about coopers pet bottles bought from Big W that they leak and from Dan Murphys they were fine.
I would have thought they would have been the same. Is this the case? Should I use another brand?
Cheers

I've been reading an old post about coopers pet bottles bought from Big W that they leak and from Dan Murphys they were fine.
I would have thought they would have been the same. Is this the case? Should I use another brand?
Cheers

Buy them direct from Coopers. Same price as the shops and free delivery.

G'Day Matt, I got caught in the 'leaking pet bottles affair' this was quite a while ago. What I found was; there are/were 2 styles of brown pets' on the market, one had 4 indents on the base and one style had 5. I found that all the bottles with 4 indents would leak from the same point when they got up to pressure. To cut a long story short I had the supplier replace 10 cartons of faulty (leaking) bottles with the later design and never had another problem. After that I 'saw the light' and moved over to kegs :-} I have given most of my brown 750ml pets away, now I use the 1125ml Coles pets for take outs and never had a problem, you have to store them in the dark!. Check before you buy I wouldn't touch the brown pets with 4 indents it was a design/manufacturing flaw.

Cheers

Like scomet has stated , you can/ could use regular PET bottles. I have used 1.250 ltr and 2 ltr bottles in the past. UV light, but mostly blue light and the colour spectrum will taint the beer if exposed. I placed them in a bin liner and then in a crate. I use the coopers PET and they work great. I now keg and use a few bottles to use the last out of the fermenter.

G'Day Matt, I got caught in the 'leaking pet bottles affair' this was quite a while ago. What I found was; there are/were 2 styles of brown pets' on the market, one had 4 indents on the base and one style had 5. I found that all the bottles with 4 indents would leak from the same point when they got up to pressure. To cut a long story short I had the supplier replace 10 cartons of faulty (leaking) bottles with the later design and never had another problem. After that I 'saw the light' and moved over to kegs :-} I have given most of my brown 750ml pets away, now I use the 1125ml Coles pets for take outs and never had a problem, you have to store them in the dark!. Check before you buy I wouldn't touch the brown pets with 4 indents it was a design/manufacturing flaw.

Cheers
No worries. What are the coles pets? Sounds like the coopers pets would be ok now?

Sorry Matt I just mean used soda water bottles, they work a treat. I'm sure the Coopers pets will be fine just don't buy old stock from big w without opening the box and checking....

Cheers mate
Sweet... this is what i was thinking of doing with cider.. and ginger beer.. any idea how much light effects those too.. i was thinking of just bottling in either 2l or 1.125 soft drink bottles storing in milk crates with a towel over

I reuse 4 to 8 1.25l coles carbonated water bottles each 23l batch I do. I store them in black crates like below from Bunnings. Absolutely no difference in flavour to the ones I do in 330ml brown glass. Sure cuts down bottling time and they get emptied quick enough on weekend sessions

https://www.bunnings.com.au/montgomery-100l-black-heavy-duty-storage-container_p0018890

https://shop.coles.com.au/a/a-national/product/coles-mineral-water-natural-8836835p
What lids do you use?

What lids do you use?

Just the caps that come with the bottles. I cut the seal ring off and cap them tight but not super tight (which can deform them).

The bottles get a single use. We drink the mineral water, use bottle for beer and then to recycling. My wife supplies me with more empties than I could use

Back