Perth Yeast Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deebee

The Bludgeon Brewery
Reaction score
After discussing with goat and kook, I would like to organise a yeast swap, maybe hop swap, maybe pint or two with other perth brewers soon. Can be as organised or dis- as we like.

One suggestion is meeting in the city, having a pint or two and exchanging samples. (Then we can swap yeast.) I suggested that coz it's easy for me. Other suggestions might work better for others. It could even be at a WCB meeting, tho I haven't been to one yet.

Other Perth brewers interested? Lurker? JasonY? Others?

Yep. But I thought Goat was organising this. I sent him an inventory of my yeast library ad he was going to put it all together. Anyway, I'll be there, but need some notice. Since I only keep one bottle of each yeast I will need to build it and split the ones people want.

Sounds good, always keen to try some new yeasts.

ATM I have

1272 American Ale II
1968 London ESB (need to make more starters of this one)

Will probably get another strain in the next week (looking like Irish Ale for a stout but maybee a lager yeast).

Happy to catch up in the city or a WCB meet, just a bit of warning so I can step up any starters ppl may want.

Hold off on the irish ale JY as I have a few stubbies spare. Wouldn't mind some London ESB...

I have a preliminary list of what GL, Kook and I have. PM me with an email addy and I'll send it out (excel file).

If others can advise what they can share I'll add them in....

Its going to look pretty weird in a back stall of the MOon or something sharing sample bottles !

especially if someone is using the 'poo' bottles :) (see my thread re small bottles for yeast)

Hey - Asher beat the firewall !

Do you have any intersting yeast you can share?

yep I'm back... untill they realise where all the bandwidth is going anyway..... ;-)

What yeast do you want? Trash mash Al and myself could probably rustle it up......

Speaking of yeast. Malthouse has started stocking a decent range of whitelabs yeasts . Ive got a tube of czech pills and german lager ready for a run of lagers I'm planning... So I could make up some extra samples if anyone wants them....

Still waiting for my morebeer order too

*Newsflash*
GT Lager recipe is now online @ Ashers brewery
My first attempt at HTML programming so take it easy on me.....

Asher for now....

You beauty!

Still havent tried it but ever since you mentioned it I have been thinking about giving a green tea lager a go. And now I have the recipe!

Nice progaming too, I gave up frames as too hard to work out when I did it.

Good stuff lurker. You won't be dissapointed... GT lager goes off!
If enough people master this one we can lobby for our own catagory in the style guidlies for comps......

The two yeasts I've got that may be of interest to you guys at the moment are

White Labs German Lager Yeast WLP830
This yeast is one of the most widely used lager yeasts in the world. Very malty and clean, great for all German lagers, pilsner, oktoberfest, and marzen

And

White Labs Pilsner Lager Yeast WLP800
Classic pilsner strain from the premier pilsner producer in the Czech Republic. Somewhat dry with a malty finish, this yeast is best suited for European pilsner production.

I'm firing up 'phase 2' this weekend for a Bo Pills and will be using the wlp800 and then in a couple of weeks Ill be making another GT and trialing the wlp830 so can take orders for samples accordingly...

Haven't used many other peoples yeast samples as Im anal about wether there contaminated/mutated... although I have been making some nice pseudo lagers with the organic twist thanks to a yeast sample straight from the ferals mouth so to speak... can organise samples of that but am sworn to secrecy as to the strain..... ;-)

Asher for now

Bringing this to the top of the list again. Any more thoughts on when we can catch up for some yeast swapping?

Trying an APA with 1968 for the hell of it so I now have more starters made up if anyone is after 1968. B)

Planning on brewing an oatmeal stout this w/end so I may have to aquire a new strain for it this week so perhaps another to offer up. :blink:

City is good for me. Friday 14th suits me. There might even be a free parking spot under my building after 5 for anyone silly enough to drive.

Sounds good. How are we going to finalise the yeast wish list?

May not need the 1084 depending on what strain I buy for my stout this w/end. Speaking of which what other strains would be good for an oatmeal stout? Not really the topic of the thread but .... :)

Good question JasonY, it might be easier to contact each member directly otherwise it will get bigger than Ben Hur - what do you think?

On the yeast for stout I have no idea. The reason I got into brewing was to make a stout.... but I haven't got around to that yet. Those Belgians have distracted me....

Apologies for the very very late reply. Uni been a real bitch lately too much to do.
Ok on my list of yeasties is 3944 belgian wit (bout 6 stubbies), 3056 (a few) it think, 1028 I got stubbies with a nice pale ale (buckets) london ale is a top yeastie. belgian trappist 3787 (got one cultivating stubby and many many bottle belgian beauties).
Cant make it out for a while cept to WCB meets. so if anyone desperate for some yeasties drop me a line cos ill be at WCB meeting monday. Not sure what Im chasing yet maybe a fresh WLP 300 if anyone got any.
Btw all my wheat cultures are single generation and my others are second at the latest
hope this helps
Peter(dab)

Sorry for the lack of activity, had a busy week with work. I should be ok for the 14th. If anyone wants any yeasts let me know ASAP as any which I only have 1 left of I will have to make a starter for.

Back