Perth newbie

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilentBoB

Reaction score
Hey, total newbie to home brewing and was told by a mate this is the place to head to and learn all about it. Certainly not wrong, a lot of info here for me to get my head around!

I don't have a kit yet, hoping to pick up just a basic extract brew kit with all the gear on the weekend from a HBS not too far from my house. Plan is to start basic with extracts, then start tinkering a bit with recipes with the hope of eventually moving in to all grain brewing.

welcome mate!

check out the Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) Style Guidelines
once in there, click on the 2015 beer style guidelines link (on the upper left) which goes to a PDF doc. I wish I had known about this earlier in my brewing days ~ it's fantastic to experiment with ingredients but also nice to know what differentiates the styles from one another. It also lists commercial examples of the styles so you can refer to the guidelines for your favourite style/beer

it might be a little more applicable as you get more flexible with how and what you brew

cheers

Thanks droid! That looks like a handy guide to have. I'll add it to the bedtime reading list, it will certainly be a great help when I start getting more adventurous with my brewing :)

The Judge said:
Where are you located?
I'm in Bedford. According to Google Brewmart in Bayswater is my closest home brew supply store so was going to head there on the weekend.

Mate two things: control your fermentation temperature (see ice in a bath tub or sink with your fermenter) and swap the yeast you get in the kit with US05 or something similar (assume it's an ale - don't try and brew a lager first up or you will be disappointed). Fermentation temperature is probably the most important thing to get right - about 20 degrees, particularly for the first few days - Ignore the instructions on the yeast packet!!! Good luck! :kooi:

Cheers Wit Wonder. I read about the tub. Already have one ready to go :)

Looking forward to brewing the first batch and this forum is proving a great source of knowledge!

Damn I wish brewmart was that close to me. Often it's more cost effective to get them to post me stuff than to spend the petrol. And I'm still in the metro area!

aye, seems like it will be handy only having them down the road.

The girlfriend wants to pop along with me because she wants to check out the kegerators. She wants one for nitro coffee (she's a barista) so I just gotta convince her to get at least two taps... one for beer and one for coffee in the morning :D

The Judge said:
Damn I wish brewmart was that close to me. Often it's more cost effective to get them to post me stuff than to spend the petrol. And I'm still in the metro area!
But then you don't get to impulse buy

Welcome!

Pickup some Starsan sanisiter while you are there as along with fermentation temperature is a big factor in getting drinkable beer at the end.

I think Brewmart are having a demo of the Robobrew system so will be a good chance to check out some All-grain brewing while you are there.

Cheers Keifer, have added Starsan to the shopping list :)

Good to know that the robobrew is being demoed. I'm interested in that unit and could look at upgrading to it down the line as my brewing progresses so will be good to see it in action. Seems like a good bit of equipment for the price!

SilentBoB said:
Cheers Keifer, have added Starsan to the shopping list :)

Good to know that the robobrew is being demoed. I'm interested in that unit and could look at upgrading to it down the line as my brewing progresses so will be good to see it in action. Seems like a good bit of equipment for the price!
It is a good piece of kit for the price. Been using mine since late last year and it is meeting my needs.

Went down to Brewmart today and picked up the Morgan's kit. They were nice enough to let me switch out the can of lager that came with the kit for an amber ale.

All mixed up and sitting in the corner of my office on a tiled floor so I can keep an eye on its temp throughout the day and see if I need to whack the air con on for a bit to keep the temp stable.

Also grabbed a bag of light dry malt on the recommendation of another punter in the store to replace the kilo of Morgan's Body Blend stuff that came with the kit (got told the kit stuff would be good to use with a cider though?). Also grabbed some Nottingham Ale yeast to use instead of the stuff that came in the kit.

Fingers crossed I'll have something decent enough to bottle in a couple of weeks. Now we play the waiting game :D

Notto's a good choice. Ferments clean and drops out well. Keep that temp steady and it should make a decent beer.

SilentBoB said:

The girlfriend wants to pop along with me because she wants to check out the kegerators. She wants one for nitro coffee (she's a barista) so I just gotta convince her to get at least two taps... one for beer and one for coffee in the morning :D
that should read 'one for coffee and one for beer in the morning'. if she doesn't buy you a kegerator, get rid of her. :p

SilentBoB said:

Does nitro coffee get served through a stout faucet with a nitrogen/co2 mix? If so, you will need to hire the nitrogen/co2 mix from BOC Gases and get the stout faucett as well as a regulator suitable for the higher pressures of nitrogen.

danestead said:
Does nitro coffee get served through a stout faucet with a nitrogen/co2 mix? If so, you will need to hire the nitrogen/co2 mix from BOC Gases and get the stout faucett as well as a regulator suitable for the higher pressures of nitrogen.
I honestly have no idea. It's her side project. I just heard the words "I might buy a kegerator" and said she had my full backing :D

She knows someone that does it. It will be a stout tap though. It has a very Guinness appearance to it when it pours. And it does involve nitrogen hence the name so you're probably right with what you're saying.

Back