Perth Meet, Late Feb/early March

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Barfridge - any chance you could photocopy a few pages out of that book for me before you give it back ? :ph34r:

That one yesterday (was it the Kolsch?) was a bewdy

Thanks to Jeff, Priscilla, Ruby & Cat for a great day. Thanks to all the other brains I picked. Great beers from the 3.4% smoke free Rauch to the 12% genuine Cimay....now, that would be a beer to clone. Thanks GL for the amarillo. Pity I forgot to take it out of the esky. I wonder what sort of a brew I can make with all that green water. Probably about the same as I make now.

PS. I'd better call that a non smokers Rauch unless someone gets upset. I believe all the healthy people enjoyed the smokey nuances. I still think my way is better.

Sounds like a great day that I missed :( Appologies that I did not show but after ginning about with moving arrangements I just couldn't get myself motivated.

Should catch you all at the next one.

barfridge said:
Now for the lost and found section:
- 1 black ring bound folder containing recipies and tasting notes (Tony M?)
- 1 red smiling devil bottle opener (?)
- 1 Brix to SG conversion chart (captain sensible?)
- 1 yeast vial (Goat) - has contacted me, and will come by to pick it up.
[post="47924"][/post]​
Ahhh...that is actually a designer smiley bottle opener which I am not allowed under any circumstances to take to brew gatherings. Will pm you and pick up this week so I can smuggle it back into the house before Fleur notices.

I've spent most of the day lazing around, and cleaning up in sporadic bursts. I really should have cleaned out the mash tun yesterday, it was a little smelly today, mmm...lactobacillus.

The brew is bubbling away quite furiously, at about 21 degrees, which is right where I want it. The smells coming out are pretty darn good.

I also quickly whiiped up a label for when I finally get around to bottling this thing, let me know what you think:
ruby2%20copy.jpg

In case anyone is wondering her nose is actually longer than it seems. Ruby can chew a bone through a picket fence.

hi all West Aussies,
I am dissapointed I didnt log onto this site early enough to make it to the recent meeting, sounds like it was a great event!
I would dearly like to try the Red Belgian orthe Chimay Clone, if there are any going "begging"..

Cheers

Case
(Bicton)

BTW WA'ers

Any reccommendations of Bottle shops that stock a good range of Beers, particularly of the Belgian variety? BWS on Canning HWY at Alfred Cove (?) is pretty good...any others?

Cheers

Case

There is only one -- the International Beer Shop in West Leederville. They have a good range of everything including Belgians. See www.internationalbeershop.com.au

Welcome aboard Sinkas.

The international beer shop is a scary place..... Just pray they don't start offering interest free periods :lol:

There will be plenty more brewdays ahead.

Asher for now

Just a quick update on the brew.
It stopped bubbling on about Monday, and I just took a gravity reading, which gave me 1.014 (OG was 1.075) - 81% attenuation. I was surprised it got down that low, I was expecting 1.020-ish. The candi sugar and flaked maize must have done thier job well.

The brew is a cloudy dark brown colour, with lots of yeast floaties. If I can get it to settle down it should be a nice deep red. I dont think I'll filter it, I need all the yeast I can to help carbonate this thing. Plus it tastes fantastic, with a nice warming alcohol flavour. Definitely a great winter warmer.

Strewth barfridge, thats 8.3%. That would really slaughter the Friday night pool. You almost tempt me.

The brew is in the bottle. I was away over the weekend, and the temps rose to mid 20's, but hopefully this late in the ferment it wont matter, just help the gravity to drop another point or 2.

I'll give this one a good 3 months in the bottle, and unleash it at the next AHB perth meet.

Latest posts

Back