• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Perth Hop Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deebee

The Bludgeon Brewery
Reaction score
I have taken some cuttings from my Pride hops and a couple look like they might not die.

Any hop growers in Perth want to do the same and swap some little baby plants in autumn?

I guess you probably wouldnt swap for the brown, shrivelled, dried up scrapings that used to be my Goldings shoots? Maybe free rental of an ag setup for a double brew when you start again in Autumn? Use of three Danes for big shit mashing?

I'm up for that Deebee and my Hersbruker is ripping out of the ground at the moment, but I have no idea how to take a cutting and propogate it - any clues?

GL: Gee the dog turd mash is tempting but heck, I guess I'll go with the ag rental.

Goat: I have pruned my plant back to the 4 strongest bines. The others I have either cut off at the base or just pulled out of the root stock and used as cuttings. The best technique so far seems to be to whack them in a jar of water, then when they grow rootlets in a week or two pot them out into pots of potting mix.

I also have struck some straight into small pots of potting mix resting in a bucket to keep the soil very moist. The very best stuff is called seed raising mix and costs more but ordinary potting mix should be fine.

You could fart around with rooting compound but you probably don't need to bother.

I have put some in a window inside and some in partial shade outside. Each technique seems as good as the other so far. Most importantly, you must keep the soil very moist for the first few weeks.

It also helps to trim off most of the leaves as leaves give off water and that makes the cutting more vulnerable to drying out.

deebee said:
You could fart around with rooting compound but you probably don't need to bother.
Rooting compound huh!

Might get the missus some for Christmas.. :lol: :p

Cheers for the tip

Crispy

look up rhizomes on google or try grumpy's or jovial monk both on line for root cuttings

Greetings all,

I've been lurking around here for a month or so and am very impressed with the site. I've been brewing with kits plus extras for a while and am currently trying to fine tune my lager brewing.

Anyone willing to sell me in autumn/winter some of these fine hop plants(Preferably Finishing Hops but beggars can't be choosers) you've been discussing? I don't have any hops to swap

First post and already on the scrounge!

Cheers,
Chilla :mellow:

chillamacgilla73 said:
Cheers,
Chilla
Don't think Chiller is going to happy :angry: :angry:

Batz

deebee said:
I also have struck some straight into small pots of potting mix resting in a bucket to keep the soil very moist. The very best stuff is called seed raising mix and costs more but ordinary potting mix should be fine.

Doh - I only just caught up with this thread. I have been rooting around with rooting compound. One of the stems is lookin pretty crook now, here is a photo from a few days ago:

http://brewiki.org/HopGrowing#propagating

So you are saying just cutoff green shoots and chuck them in water? I am very gardening challenged.

Update... Every cutting I have put in soil looks good for a week and then carks it.

Every cutting I have put in water has hung on and developed little hairy rootlets after a week or so. I have obviously tried to plant them out too early because every time I put one of these hairy critters in soil, it dies, no matter how moist the soil is.

So I am just going to keep them in water for another month or two and then try again to put them in soil when they have a better root system. (Wait for the gags about the benefits of having a better root system.)

Macgilla, I am willing to share any cuttings that pull through the summer, but there may be one or two ahead of you in the queue. Hopefully there will be plenty and I will happily take a brew in exchange for a little baby Pride of Ringwood!

cheers

By the way, good tips from the proffesional hops grower on your site sos. Will make me change a couple of things I do.

Thanks deebee, any POR would be greatly appreciated. I started a dutch lager last night, interested? With the current heatwave I think it will be hard to plant out unless it's into a cool humid shady spot.

I will leave the 'better root system alone' !

Latest posts

Back