Perth Beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trev

Reaction score
I had the opportunity to get over to Perth again last week and this time managed to try a couple of the local brews at the Como hotel. Damn nice place and about 10 non-megaswill brews on tap.

There was an IPA from Sail & Anchor (?) that was very nice and probably a good example of the type.

The one that I really got stuck into (oops, I mean sampled) was the "Extra Special Bitter" from Fremantle Brewery. It was not mouth-puckering bitter and had a good balance of malt - one of the nicest drops I've had for a while.

Now the question becomes how do I make something similar?

Also on the way back I spent a couple of days in Adelaide and got up to Grumpys for a look around and taste. There Heysen Stout is a great drop, nice balance of oatmeal with not too strong a 'burnt' aftertaste that is often a bit over the top in the Stouts I've tried.

Also had a Southwark Bitter by mistake. Good only for putting out bushfires and leaving behind at a party you didn't like.

Trev

Sail & Anchor IPA has gone downhill IMO :(

Its got less body than it used to, isnt bitter enough, and plain isnt tasty enough. Either that, or my beer tastes have got pickier. James Squire IPA is a much better example of an IPA than the Sail & Anchor brew IMO.

I didnt know that the fremantle brewery was still going strong. I thought they'd closed down. I've never tried their ESB, ill have to get to the como sometime and give it a go :)

trev forget southwark bitter the old green death is what we call it here and forget any beer by west end and southwark because its all muck.
Wanna real south aussie beer then drink Coopers.

While you were in perth u should have tried a little creastures pale ale i haeard is very good

Jaz,

Yep, I've tried the LCPA over here (only in a 6 pack - is it on tap anywhere).

Damn fine drop as well.

I did notice though that the CrowEaters are particularly impartial about their Coopers Pale Ale. It's advertised in large banners on almost every pub! Everybody swears by it, nice enough as it is but Wow it's almost turned into a culteral icon down there. Mind you, I think I'd much rather have that as our megaswill of choice that VB.

Trev

I agrre trev u should try coopers sparkling ale too which is good i alsolike their dark ale, extra stout, vintage ale.

Maybee i just like coopers

Jaz,

Of course you like Coopers - you're from Adelaide :)

I did try a fair bit of Pale Ale, both bottle and Tap and liked it a lot - maybe a bit too much :(

Trev

I also liked James squire amber ale wish we had more of their brews down here

Back