Perth Beer Lovers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kook

Reaction score
Just found Duvel gift packs (750ml bottle & glass) for $20 at Liquor Barons on Flynn Street (just past the churchlands uni) Floreat. Its in a block of shops there, next to a drycleaners.

Also, the Nookemburra has Sam Smiths beers (including their oatmeal stout) for $6.95 a bottle. Same with Theaksons Old Peculiar. There were a few others I cant remember for $6.95 too.

Cheers to pyrim for setting me onto these :)

excellant stuff kook
i will check my street directory and give them a visit when in perth in june/july

cheers
big d

I'm not that far south often, but next time I'm going there I'll check it out :)

I've still yet to find anywhere else with the range of the IBS. Still, its handy to find some of my favourite beers (Sam Smiths) at cheaper prices.

BWS is getting a few good beers in, a collection of samuel smith for around $7-8 and the six main weihenstephaner for $5, lots of others to browse.

Better to support the small business IBS

Right now I'm sipping (and really bloody enjoying!) a Liefmans Frambozenbier :D Sweet raspberrys clashing with sour acidity. Seriously tasty stuff.

Lief and Demetri's container full of belgians (along with lots more Weihenstephaner) has arrived :)

Get in quick for bottles of Cantillon Kriek, Liefmans Kriekbier, Liefmans Frambozenbier and Liefmans Goudenband. They're expensive at around $10 a bottle each, but judging by the Framboise, its worth it! I picked up one of each, and I'm going to go in later in the week and pick up one or two of each again.

Theres a magnum of Tripel Karmeliet sitting behind the counter too. I somehow doubt its for sale though :)

I had a bottle of the Frambozenbier the other night too - couldn't believe how good it was - really refined, fresh sweet fruit taste beautifully balanced. Great stuff. Not sure that I would down half a dozen in front of the footy, but a bloody good drop none the less.

On a related subject. I spoke to Mark and the IBS about perhaps having a 'purpose made' tasting night just concentrating on the Belgians, Lambics etc. He was keen on it, and in fact said they had looked into it and were concerned about cost. He reckoned it would cost in the order of $18-20 for a sample of several - which I reckon would be OK. If anyone else is interested, PM me and I'll get some numbers together and talk to IBS about it.

BTW, Kook that Magnum of Karmeliet is for sale, it just that they had not put it in ther system yet. Mark got it out to show it off to me like it was his first born son !!

deebee said:
BWS is getting a few good beers in, a collection of samuel smith for around $7-8 and the six main weihenstephaner for $5, lots of others to browse.

Down here in SA BWS is the downmarket side of the Woolworth's empire. I have conspiracy alarm bells ringing here :eek: .
Could they be test marketting in Perth before bringing in the odd exotic into mainstream grog shops throughout Australia, hence undermining true crusaders like IBS (and likeminded, but not quite so courageously obvious, souls interstate).
Be careful out there. Next time you see a weihenstephaner for $5, pay an extra 3 somewhere else. At least in 4 years time you might still be able to buy a weihenstephaner.
The truth is out there.......

Stu. the good news is that IBS sell weihenstephaner for $5 too. If I want a to pick up a Dunkel or Kristal Weiss to go with my schnitzel mit noodles ("these are a few of my favourite things...") I head to IBS. Love those bottles - great for homebrew.

Goat, put me down for a tentative yes on the belgian taste night. Can't always make it evenings but given some notice should be able to fit it in. Tues and Wed are the worst nights for me.

deebee said:
Stu. the good news is that IBS sell weihenstephaner for $5 too. If I want a to pick up a Dunkel or Kristal Weiss to go with my schnitzel mit noodles ("these are a few of my favourite things...") I head to IBS.
That's what worries a conspiracy theorist like me. What happens if you want a "Dunkel or Kristal Weiss to go with my schnitzel mit noodles" and IBS ain't there because everyone else has bought their "samuel smith and the six main weihenstephaner" from BWS and won't ever know how many other beers are out there.
Always resist temptation.
If BWS has a good beer at the same price, or even less, buy the beer at IBS, That way you are doing your bit to ensure that IBS can always ensure a trule choice of quality brews and not just the half dozen the big boys tempt you with to begin with.
It's easy to shop with BWS, but ultimately you'll end up drinking Swan, or maybe Heineken.

Goat said:
On a related subject. I spoke to Mark and the IBS about perhaps having a 'purpose made' tasting night just concentrating on the Belgians, Lambics etc. He was keen on it, and in fact said they had looked into it and were concerned about cost. He reckoned it would cost in the order of $18-20 for a sample of several - which I reckon would be OK. If anyone else is interested, PM me and I'll get some numbers together and talk to IBS about it.

BTW, Kook that Magnum of Karmeliet is for sale, it just that they had not put it in ther system yet. Mark got it out to show it off to me like it was his first born son !!
I've emailed them about specialty tasting nights, twice now (once about 6 months ago, and a week or so ago after it was suggested again in the newsletter). I'd be willing to pay $20-25 if I got to sample a few good belgians. Rob is aparently working on that side of it at the moment (he's dealing with the emails).

Ahh ok. From what Demetri said I didnt think it was for sale. I got the idea they were going to crack it open themselves :p

wee stu said:
Be careful out there. Next time you see a weihenstephaner for $5, pay an extra 3 somewhere else. At least in 4 years time you might still be able to buy a weihenstephaner.
The truth is out there.......
Well, with Weihenstephaner, nomatter where you're buying it around Australia, the IBS is still making money out of it :) If you look at that sticker on the side of it, notice who the importer is?

I get the idea that the profit on some of the belgians is very low at the IBS. Most of their profit comes from the import/resale of the Weihenstephaner range. Its taken off pretty well too. I even found it in Mandurah!

Maybe they should offer some training with the distribution. At the Mille cafe I was offered "some new beer, cant pronounce the name, comes in quite a big bottle and you can have the cloudy one, the clear one or the dark one". When she mentioned "its from some really old brewery" I finally guessed what she was talking about.

deebee said:
IBS has my support because I can count on the range and the knowledge of the place. They maybe a little dearer but they have a much higher turnover of these specialty beers so you dont run the risk of the aged samples ive seen in bottleshops.

kook said:
Well, with Weihenstephaner, nomatter where you're buying it around Australia, the IBS is still making money out of it :) If you look at that sticker on the side of it, notice who the importer is?

I get the idea that the profit on some of the belgians is very low at the IBS. Most of their profit comes from the import/resale of the Weihenstephaner range. Its taken off pretty well too. I even found it in Mandurah!
Haven't seen any of it in the city of churches yet.

I'm in the middle of a glass of Cantillon Kriek at the moment and all I have to say is

WOW!!!

I've never tried a beer like this before in my life. Its so intensly sour and acidic. Your mouth is left so dry and cleansed at the end of it. Amazing stuff. Really worth trying at least once just so you can say you have. You'll either like it or hate it :)

Oh, and dont let the acidic sweaty leather smell put you off ;)

"Oh, and dont let the acidic sweaty leather smell put you off"

MMMmmmm thats got me racing out the door to get one!!!!

Latest posts

Back