Persistent oxidised beer problem

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeker

Reaction score
I have a persistent off flavour that's crept into my beers, two of which have been bad enough to tip away.

I thought it was an infection at first, but I now think it's oxidation (I'm putting the change down to my taste getting more refined). I can now detect a distinct wet cardboard taste. In most beers it's been very slight, but in two of them it was really bad.

It's co-ioncided with a number of changes which has made it very tough to track back, and I now think it's probably been there quite a while.

I'm making UK ales, with Maris otter + crystal, and hop pellets which are always frozen, but not shrink wrapped and can be up to 12 months old.

I BIAB with a 40ltr urn, then no chill into a Bunnings cube, either poured straight in or through a silicone tube, both showed the problem. The cubes I'm now using are hard to get all the air out so the last ones have had a fair bit in, and this seems like a possible cause.

I've then been chilling in a swimming pool - not going to do that any more as it's probably not required and adds risk.

Then ferment in the same cube or into a fermenter - both ways have show the problem.

The last two I did were a FWK and an IPA. My IPA is slightly funky, but the FWK was perfect, which leads me to thinking the problem is not post fermentation, as the only difference was I added gelatine to my IPA.

Both kegs were filled with sanitiser and then evacuated with CO2, filled with a hose then head space vented about 5 times.

I'm pretty sick of it and I really thought I'd have nailed it by vastly improving my kegging, but that's not been the case.

Just to add - the reasons I don't think it's infection based;

No change to body.
Under carbed (flat) beers are just as bad.
Bottled beers have been as bad.
Everything else about the beer is fine.

Perhaps its changes to your water? FWK was probably made with filtered and treated water.

Have you changed your sanitiser?

Do you cold crash? Is your ferment temp controlled?

How much Crystal malt?

Im sure someone here can answer this better.

Last few beers have been rain water - I was using filtered tap water before that. I think it's occurred with both, but is certainly there with rain water (all the last beers have been rain water or tap drip filtered through Britta clone filter - it is past it's best, but water was tasteless)

Sanitised with bleach then Star San, cleaned with Napisan.

The Napisan has changed a few times, and is the one with blue flecks in it, but fermenters have been bleached after cleaning. I have only recently started using bleach, and it MIGHT coincide.

I don't normally cold crash - temp controlled at 20c (FWK and my IPA both fermented at same time, same temp)

Crystal varies - 100 - 400g - 23ltr batch.

Been adding water treatments; Calcium sulphate & Epsom salts & occasionally PH buffer (not in rain water though).

I'm not a no-chiller so give this post little credibility. If the cubes are being stored for any length of time without excluding all the air, I'd agree it's quite possible that is the problem. From my limited knowledge, I'd prefer to have the cube absolutely full before sealing it up and cooling it.

Hope you find the solution soon. Cheers

I thought the whole no-chill idea worked on basic food preserving principles. If you have air in your cubes then it''s all wrong isn't it?

If you think your issues may be associated with your water then you could/should have a read of this topic http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=198460
Yes I know 121 pages are a lot to digest but there are some good sound advise contained therein.
AJ deLange and Martin Brungard are well qualified water chemists and co reviewed Palmer's book on water.

Cheers

Wobbly

A couple of things I would try:
Stop using bleach, starsan will sanitise very well after stuff has been cleaned with sodium perc (or napisan)
When filling your cube use a silicon hose and try to eliminate all splashing. I have found that opening the tap just over half way not only helps with this but also helps keep the trub in a nice cone.
Other things to consider:
How many taps do you have? When were they last stripped and cleaned?
Have you been regularly stripping and cleaning the posts etc. of your kegs?
When filling your kegs are you getting any splashing?
Do you use gladwrap or a lid and airlock?
Do you cold crash before kegging?

How many taps do you have? When were they last stripped and cleaned?

Single picnic tap - stripped every time.

Have you been regularly stripping and cleaning the posts etc. of your kegs?

Yes, every time.

Yes I am getting some, but flushed the last one with CO2 before filling, also the FWK got splashed much worse as I made a mistake, and that was not affected.

Gladwrap or a cube lid. Actually I think all the affected beers have been jerry cans with lids loosely fitted. I also think they may all have been no chilled or fermented in those blue Bunnings jerry cans. I was using the white ones, but broke a few. The blue cans have probably been used for no-chilling and/or fermenting every problem beer. The FWK was fermented in the cube it came in.
I have noticed that the blue cubes smell when you add Star San ( a bit sulphureus). I wonder if they could be reacting with heat or chemicals!?

Do you cold crash before kegging?

Not usually no. The current affected beer was kegged and then chilled to around 3-4c and gelatin added, but I usually only chill to around 8c.

I'll drop the bleaching and squeeze all air out next brew, and maybe drop the blue cans too.

Bleach has to be thouroughly rinsed or you will get off flavours, I'm sure you can guess how I know.

They get well rinsed, but how to tell it's all off?
Also they may get left for a month soaking in bleach.

I've never had cubes or fermenters smell sulphurous, maybe like hops or malt, but not like yeast by-products. Get some PBW and boiling water in there, and use a fermenter for a fermenter, man! Much easier to clean.

Rinsing with water until run off doesn't smell or feel slimy.

I can get a Jerry can and fermenter in my fermentation freezer.

Unless I'm doing 25ltr I use a Jerry can normally.

Smell is very chemically when star San is added. Maybe something getting freed by the acid?

If you really need to use bleach, rinse well with boiling water and/or sodium met solution.
Not saying this is the cause of the issue but leaving bleach in fermenters for a month then just rinsing is not a great idea.

Seeker said:
I BIAB with a 40ltr urn, then no chill into a Bunnings cube, either poured straight in or through a silicone tube, both showed the problem. The cubes I'm now using are hard to get all the air out so the last ones have had a fair bit in, and this seems like a possible cause.
I don't no-chill, but I think if you are fairly positive it is oxidation you are tasting then I think your above description of transfering your hot wort to your cube is the likely cause. Too much carelessness when dealing with hot wort and splashing or exposing it to large surface areas of air is a big problem.

To reduce oxidation in hot wort never pour. If you have stopped doing this by using a silicone tube, maybe have a look/think about how you have done it in the past. Have you ensured the tube is at the bottom of the cube? Have you ensured that the pour is slow until the outlet of the tube is well covered (at least 2 inches)? Have you ensured that there is no sucking of air into the tube and that it fills with wort once the tube outlet is covered? Lastly, (as has been expressed by others already) leaving air in the cube is inviting some oxidation in your still hot wort. I would keep these air exposing factors to a minimum in your next brew and see if this improves things.

If you are absolutely sure you have reduced all oxidation exposures (and I mean be thorough in your examination of your methods) then maybe think about improving your fermentation/yeast management/conditioning procedures.

This is because Aldehyde (Trans-2-nonenal) will have a cardboard/papery flavour and has an extremely low taste threshold. It could be produced by poor yeast management/health/highly flocculent strains/use of finings prior to full attentuation, insufficient conditioning time, bacterial infection and more. Good sanitation, good pitching rates, using healthy yeast and allowing proper fermentation and conditioning times would over come this problem. I suggest this would be an unlikely cause to your issue, because if you are having problems with the cardboard flavour then you would also have other green beer type flavours. I only mention it as another slight possiblity to consider after you have completely eliminated oxidation which is the likely cause.

Seeker said:

Yes I am getting some, but flushed the last one with CO2 before filling, also the FWK got splashed much worse as I made a mistake, and that was not affected.

Gladwrap or a cube lid. Actually I think all the affected beers have been jerry cans with lids loosely fitted. I also think they may all have been no chilled or fermented in those blue Bunnings jerry cans. I was using the white ones, but broke a few. The blue cans have probably been used for no-chilling and/or fermenting every problem beer. The FWK was fermented in the cube it came in.
I have noticed that the blue cubes smell when you add Star San ( a bit sulphureus). I wonder if they could be reacting with heat or chemicals!?
For some reason, prior to my last post the above post and those after it were not visible to me. Umm... I think you have stated your oxidation problems in both the splashing and in loose fitting lids. Not ideal. Also check the underneath of the blue bunnings jerry cans to see what type of plastic they are. If a 2 and triangle symbol or HDPA they should be ok as far at the type of plastic goes, but if you can get any sucking of air in or out then you need to use cubes that don't do that.

As it has been said, splashing hot wort will cause oxidation
Just on a side note, stale hops that are poorly stored can offer many strabge flavours to the finished beer.

Handle hot wort very carefully and go and buy some new hops that are supplied in nitrogen filled packs from a reputable hbs.

One other thing...how long are you boiling for?
Boiling drives o2 from wort

Good luck with it

Latest posts

Back