Perplexed About Diaceytl In A Single Bottle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murcluf

The Mystical Meerkat
Reaction score
I have a perplexing question that has been doing my head in for the last few days.
I brew an IPA which I kegged and had no issue with it, from that keg I CPF'd half a dozen bottles for comp and testers. The other day I opened the last 2 days first one fine just like the rest, the last bottle smacked of diacetyl big time. It didn't taste infected in anyway just smacked of butterscotch and had a buttery mouthfeel. The keg and bottles were maintained in the same controlled temps so I can't point to temp variation as a cause. Bottles kept and cleaned and sanitised exactly the same way, I just can't work it out 20 lts of a beer 500ml has diacetyl or diacetyl like taste to it.

If you scroll down to the bottom here it talks about how diacetyl can come about from oxidation reactions

Oxidization would be my bet - it can revert ethanol back to diacetyl (it is a precursor) under certain circumstances.

This would be my bet in this case.

Cheers

Brendo

Thanks fellas, I take what is said on board with the diacetyl coming from oxidation which I'm surprised to learn. Knowing the processes I used to bottle the beer was exaclty the same for each bottle I would expect that none or all should of been effected if you follow the oxidised therory not just one. Anyway I think I just accept it as it happened call it diaceytl from oxidation and move on.

Can also be from an infected bottle, eventually it can take on lacto traits from what I've read. I've been having a few diacetyl issues myself...

Edit: Spellz

Perhaps a pediococcus infection. If its only one bottle its a def Possibility. Pediococcus bacteria are a known potential source of diacetyl.

Cheers

Perhaps a pediococcus infection. If its only one bottle its a def Possibility. Pediococcus bacteria are a known potential source of diacetyl.

Cheers
I suspected a Pediococccus infection in another batch of beer I had but that was in every bottle of that batch. I can trace that issue back to the smack pack I used. The IPA was a whole different lot including yeast. If i have an issue with Pediococcus in my equipment I might have to purges it as I have recently done a big clean up of my equipment. I'll do another and will have to see what happens as the minister of finance wont be happy if I have to purchase replacement equipment.

I'll do another and will have to see what happens as the minister of finance wont be happy if I have to purchase replacement equipment.

Perfect opportunity to duplicate the cold side of things mate, and turn current equipment into 'funky use only'. That will make Kenny and I very happy. :p

Perfect opportunity to duplicate the cold side of things mate, and turn current equipment into 'funky use only'. That will make Kenny and I very happy. :p
Thanks for the encouragement Raven but I think 12.5 is too hard a target to strive for, and will leave that to you to try and achieve. It's would be a mighty feat to reach the dizzy heights of Grand Masterdom. :lol:

Back