Permanent sanitiser vessel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkit99

Reaction score
Hi all.

Firstly, I'm more of a lurker than a poster and just wanted to convey my thanks to this forum for all of the helpful info contributed by all of the members. My first four AGs have been pretty hassle free thanks to the troubleshooting this forum provides!

I have an old, spare fermenter lying around and had an idea of using it as a sanitising vessel. The idea would be to fill it up with a slighlty higher concentration of no-rinse sanitiser, and any gear like hoses, spoons, taps, airlocks, whatever could be chucked in here for storage after it had been cleaned. That way, they're already sanitised when I need them.

Can anyone see any problems with leaving something in sanitiser this long? Plastic degredation maybe? Sanitiser losing its potency? I remember reading somewhere that most of the time sanitiser can be reserved and reused, which is what led to the idea in the first place.

Cheers!

Most sanitisers will lose their effectiveness after a day or so.
On the label for Starsan they advise 24 hours if using tap water. If you use distilled water it will last much much longer. Distilled water ain't cheap though, unless you have a still.

I don't see any probs with plastic degradation as everyone keeps their sanitiser in plastic spray bottles,and it comes in plastic bottles ?. As for storing a mix and using it as you have suggested I think the possibility of it becoming less viable would increase as you are adding more bits and pieces to it and exposing the solution every time the lid is removed to remove or add what ever is needed. I am no chemist,just my 2 cents worth. ...cheers..spog...

On an old BN podcast, one of the guys from 5-star (can't remember who) said that regardelss of age, Starsan will continue to work so long as the pH remains below 3.5.

I make up 20lts of distilled water and add 30mls Starsan to it. I use this for sanitising everything. I change it out after about 6 months.

Keep it clean and keep a lid on it, Starsan works on pH so as long as you are not diluting it with water then it should last for a while.

I use Peerless S Clean I am pretty sure that that lasts indefinitely as they do sell it pre mixed, but it does only need 30 seconds contact, I buy it undiluted and make up a litre spray bottle I use it on hoses, spoons, paddle, bottles, etc, prior to using.
I have never had a problem with this product, it is cheap and it complies with food safety regulations.

Make up a container full of napi san.
Make up a spray bottle of starsan

Leave the shit soaking in the nappisan solution. When you want to use it give it a quick rinse with fresh water and then a quick spray with the starsan.

I suppose you could, but why? Just give it a quick squirt from a cheap spray bottle.
Kind of reminds me when you use to see this kind of things at the hairdresser barber.

96edc48a-3fcc-46f8-a3cc-8c1f2b0650d3.grid-6x2.jpg

Effectiveness of any of the acid sanitisers rests with the low pH. No reason why you can't have a container of it made up and stored if you want to re-use with cleaned equipment. I have a 15L drum made up all the time for brewdays. Each week on brew day, it goes out into a 25L Bucket and everything gets a clean and soak in the sanitiser. I turn it over about once a month, but then, I brew pretty much every week, especially when doing development brews.

You will get some sedimentation with the acid sanitisers though, stir it up before use and all good. If unsure, check the pH with a test strip.

Martin

Iodophor is a solution of iodine complexed with a polymer carrier that is very convenient to use 15ml in 19 l is all that is needed to sanitize equipment with a two minute soak time. This produces a concentration of 12.5 ppm of titratable iodine. Soaking equipment longer, for 10 minutes, at the same concentration will disinfect surfaces to hospital standards. At 12.5 ppm the solution has a faint brown color that you can use to monitor the solution's viability. If the solution loses its color, it no longer contains enough free iodine to work.(John Palmer)..

A solution of Star San has a long usage life and an open bucket of it will remain active for several days. Keeping a solution of Star San in a closed container will increase its shelf life. The viability of the solution can be judged by its clarity; it turns cloudy as the viability diminishes.(John Palmer)..I have 20litre made up of starsan and spray bottle.

I keep 20L of starsan made up in a fermenter (pail style) so it is ready when needed, I check it every so often to make sure the pH is still low enough. Most of the time it gets replaced because it is dirty, Not the pH rising.
I did leave a silicon hose in there for a few weeks by accident, After it dried out the hose turned white and had a almost powdery residue all over. I rinsed the hell out of it which got rid of the residue but it is visibly discoloured.
+1 for reusing bulk starsan
-1 for storing equipment in the starsan

Latest posts

Back