Perlicks or Celli Flow Control Taps?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPH87

Reaction score
What is the difference between these two taps?

Obviously looking at the Chrome Celli FC Tap.

Cheers,

Ben

wally said:
Ben,

The Perlick flow control is forward sealing and quite a bit cheaper.

The Perlick is probably more sanitary whilst also easier to pull down and clean.

The Perlick flow controls are also better suited to fonts than the Cellis, as snaplock adapter shanks screw straight into them. I haven't seen a Celli on a font except for pictures of Celli taps on Celli fonts.

Wally
Hey Wally,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I should have mentioned that I intend to mount them onto a collar for a keezer.

A couple of brewers up here have the Celi. I think the Celi is a better quality tap. For the price difference, I have the Perlick FC on my font. IMHO the Celi's are priced out of their own market.

From someone who sells both, with plenty of experience & feedback from homebrewers & commercial users alike, the Celli taps in our opinion are far superior.
The Perlicks are still great taps, but they do not control the pour as effectively as the Celli & can still have some foaming issues. They are also not so reliable, with dripping issues & recently we've experienced several seal failures causing the beer to spurt out from below the handle. Cellis are self closing & also have a creamer function built in, 2 useful additions that the flow control Perlick does not have.
Cellis can be mounted on a single Kegerator font quite easily by totaly replacing the tap & shank, but due to space restraints, for multiple taps, the Perlicks are the best choice. For home fridge door or freezer conversions the Celli is definately our choice.
For pricing within Australia, the Cellis are cheaper, but if you are importing direct from the States, then Perlicks can be obtained cheaper.

Cheers

Ross/CraftBrewer

P.S. feel free to call us any time to discuss the pros & cons of taps, as they are the single most important part of any draft set up.

I have SS Cellis and have no doubt I could fit them to a font if I wanted.

I also reckon Cellis are a piece of piss to clean and can't see why they would be any harder than a Perlick.

As to the hygiene of cellis then I personally think this issue is entirely up to how well the owner actually looks after his/her taps.

I love my Cellis and even today, I personally wouldn't bother purchasing any other tap. (unless a cheapy for a jockey box)

I run Celli's but am slack in cleaning them so they do get sticky from time to time.

Love the flow control too as per Ross's post, but I reckon I would now be leaning toward perlicks if I were to start my setup again.

I rarely (if ever) use the creamer on the celli's.

raven19 said:
I rarely (if ever) use the creamer on the celli's.
That's because you overcarbonate all your beers. :rolleyes:

For low carbonation (ie, English style, 1.8vol or lower, assuming your regulator can even give you the pressure to get that low), a creamer function on the tap, irrespective of brand, is pretty much the make or break for me.

why dont Andale get rated/discussed... Ive started on them and TBH they are bloody wonderful, dont drip, pour wonderful and soo bloody stylish (Floryte for me)

So after speaking to the knowledgeable lads at CB I have decided upon Celli Taps. They work out to $139 (long shank model 65mm) + JG fitting $9. So $148 each.
Perlicks are $99.50 + $35.50 for the chrome 3" shank - $135. (obviously cheaper if you get them from the US)

So for the extra $13 Celli's are the way to go (methinks).

Now I just have to save the coin...........................

Thanks to everyone who commented.

Cheers,

Ben

FWIW, the Perlick Forward Sealing design is killer to me.

Basically, its the difference between pouring black specks and crap in your beer... Or not.

That is unless you feel like cleaning your taps very frequently.

BUT. I do not have any experience with Celli's, but am assuming, since they are not forward sealing, they have the same problems as all other back-sealing taps.

I clean my perlicks about twice a year. And they basically don't really need it when I do. All I do in the meantime is squirt some starsan up their spouts most nights before putting the keg fridge to bed... if I remember.

Never got black specks out of my Celli's before.. I have however had a few wasp nests, this was sorted out by nozzle caps :icon_cheers:

Mike likes it straight from the FV and then just shoot a sparkler at it... from about 3 foot - any closer, it is over carbed.

Poms.

:p

Stux said:
FWIW, the Perlick Forward Sealing design is killer to me.

Basically, its the difference between pouring black specks and crap in your beer... Or not.

That is unless you feel like cleaning your taps very frequently.

BUT. I do not have any experience with Celli's, but am assuming, since they are not forward sealing, they have the same problems as all other back-sealing taps.

I clean my perlicks about twice a year. And they basically don't really need it when I do. All I do in the meantime is squirt some starsan up their spouts most nights before putting the keg fridge to bed... if I remember.

Description:

Most people with draft systems will tell you that cleaning their taps is something that just does not happen as often as it should. Since the tap seals form the back of the unit, beer stays in the body and corrodes the tap, and, since it is vented to allow the majority of remaining beer inside to drain from the body, air gets in the tap and turns the residual beer sour and mouldy. With this tap, these are worries that are worries no more. The main design of the Perlick unit is the unique "seal forward" aspect - meaning the body seals toward the downspout where the beer exits the tap, not back towards the shank where it enters. This means that when you shut it off, the residual beer left from the pour has only one place to go - down, and it won't sit stagnant in the body.
From the CB website.

Think forward seating brewers otherwise it's residual beer sour and mouldy....yuk oh!

batz

Back