Perlick 545PC taps 'decaying'

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarmerBeer

Reaction score
I have a had a couple of Perlick 545PC chrome plated taps running on my kegerator for about 3 years now.
Recently I have found a few metal deposits floating in my beers after giving the taps a good clean (PBW). It appears to be the inside of the tap coming off. The pieces are small, 1 - 2 mm, and light enough to float on the head of the beer.

I'm not willing to use these taps any more, as no idea what ingesting chrome plating is going to do for my health in the long run.

Has anybody else encountered similar issues with PC taps?

I haven't had trouble with metal coming off when running beer through mine, but I did have trouble with flecks of metal coming off when I was using my 545PCs for soda water so started using one of my SS taps only for soda water.

The reason I spent the extra few # on the SS versions and only sell them.

It's only a matter of time before they are useless.

Has anyone gone back to Perlick about this issue? They were absolutely fantastic to deal with (once I managed to get through to the right department) regarding a couple faulty 545SS taps... they actually replaced them with 650SS taps free of charge and I was able to sell the 545SS taps to someone who didn't mind the slight fault. So I'd say they would be interested to hear about the chrome plating issues and would hopefully sort it out for you.

The exact same thing happened to me, you are quite correct in that it is the chrome coming off the inside of the tap barrel. I also am not a fan of chrome plating in my beer. IMHO they are fit for the bin. I replaced mine with 525SS models, I have also found that flow control is not required if you balance your system properly. 525SS are great, I have nothing but stainless now in the keggerator have not had any further issues.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Has anyone gone back to Perlick about this issue? They were absolutely fantastic to deal with (once I managed to get through to the right department) regarding a couple faulty 545SS taps... they actually replaced them with 650SS taps free of charge and I was able to sell the 545SS taps to someone who didn't mind the slight fault. So I'd say they would be interested to hear about the chrome plating issues and would hopefully sort it out for you.
I'm glad someone had success dealing with Perlick, I only got the "runaround".
I jumped through all their hoops and got nowhere. Finally I was referred back to an Australian rep who only came back with questions regarding my cleaning process...they were just trying to get out of responsibility for a manufacturing fault with my brand new taps....they wore me out and I got nowhere in the end :angry:

i've been meaning to offload my chrome perlicks for a while now... err I mean upgrade my system and let another fellow brewer revel in a bargain tap!

Happy with mine. :beerbang: However I have been known to boil in aluminium pots from time to time. :ph34r:

Given I purchased them on the cheap about 3 years ago (mate was going on a trip to the USA. Yay, no Australia Tax!) I doubt I'm going to get any sympathy or recourse from Perlick.
With a b'day coming up soon, I know what I'll be asking for, a couple of 650SS taps

Edit: got the model number wrong

Experienced this with a set of Chrome brumby taps. Why I now only use and recommend SS Taps.

I gave away the chrome taps. Couldn't bare asking cash for them.

Buy well, buy once

Does anybody know of conclusive evidence regarding health issues from ingested chrome plating?

If so, I'll be dumping mine, if not I'll give them away to a new kegger .

Wow, another ninjedit. Damn autocorrect

Latest posts

Back