Perle Smash - Comments, Advice Welcome

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petesbrew

Lover of Beer
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm gathering courage to finally use my perle flowers I got off my vine. (about 120g dried).
As this is the first time I've used fresh hop flowers, I'm fishing for advice or comments on the recipe. And for any techniques or tips.
I was going to use a hopbag and just keep adding the extra hops into the bag during the boil.
The AA% rating was a ballpark figure (7-9%AA off the general hop characteristics)

Cheers in advance.
Pete

Perle Smash
A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 23.00 Wort Size (L): 23.00
Total Grain (kg): 4.50
Anticipated OG: 1.043 Plato: 10.632
Anticipated EBC: 5.6
Anticipated IBU: 48.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
100.0 4.50 kg. JWM Export Pilsner Australia 1.039 3

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
30.00 g. Perle Whole 8.25 32.2 60 min.
30.00 g. Perle Whole 8.25 10.8 20 min.
30.00 g. Perle Whole 8.25 5.4 5 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP838 Southern German Lager

I did a Perle pellet version of Smurtos golden ale and it was really nice beer, mates loved the subtle spicy flavours. I think you will make a really nice beer, especially with flowers :icon_drool2:

If your not to fussy with your IBU's you should be right, but otherwise using homegrown for bittering can be a bit hit and miss.

Cheers BDB

I agree with BDB. Bitter with some commercial known AA%, and use the homegrown hops for 20min onwards additions. That way you get the benefit of a know bittering, and all the flavour and aroma of fresh hops. I only ever tried bittering with homegrown hops once, my IBUs ended up way under.

QldKev

Thanks guys, a bittering hop with a known AA% sounds like very good advice.
I have some Northern Brewer so seeing as Perle is derived from it, it's almost a single hop beer. B)

Back