Perick Taps - Flow Control Or Not?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPH87

Reaction score
Hello brewers,

I am in the process of building myself a new keezer and need some advice on the following;

1. I intend to purchase Perlick taps but I am unsure whether or not to get Flow Control taps?

2. Should I be using JG fittings on all Quick Disconects, the back of taps and manifold or Barbs?

3. I also need to refurbish my kegs, I have done O-rings on posts and the lid - what else should I do?

Any help is appreciated,

Cheers,

Ben

+ 1... flow control taps are awesome. Not having to have 2 metres of beer line per tap is worth it alone

Hello brewers,

I am in the process of building myself a new keezer and need some advice on the following;

1. I intend to purchase Perlick taps but I am unsure whether or not to get Flow Control taps?

2. Should I be using JG fittings on all Quick Disconects, the back of taps and manifold or Barbs?

3. I also need to refurbish my kegs, I have done O-rings on posts and the lid - what else should I do?

Any help is appreciated,

Cheers,

Ben

1. No comment
2. JG fittings are awesome. Stuffing around with barbs & hose clamps is a pain.
3. Keg seal kit from Ross. Lid seal, post seals, dip tube & gas post seal.

edit: No comment means I have no experience with the Perlick taps not a negative against them.

Get some good shanks too.

Having troubles with my setup at the moment (cheap shanks), have Perlick Flow controls. Foamfeast.
Sucks.

Have had some corrosion looking stuff come into the last few beers so i think my cheap chinese shanks have had it.
Some SS ones on the way from the states.... tick tock tick tock... hurry up.

cheers
D80

a bloke came into Keg King this morning looking to swap to flow control if thats any indication of what to go for

a bloke came into Keg King this morning looking to swap to flow control if thats any indication of what to go for

I was at KK this morning :) I did ask about whether I could buy the kegmaster S3 without the taps so I could put flow control on there, but somehow I don't think you are referring to me. :)

I was at KK this morning. I did ask about whether I could buy the kegmaster S3 without the taps so I could put flow control on there, but somehow I don't think you are referring to me.

Naa I dont think so mate, this fella was just unhappy with the other sort, dont take my advice though Ive got all Andale Floryte's and wouldnt have it any other way :super:

:icon_offtopic: Gunna have a lot of bloody hose in my fridge unless I go to those thingamy's you put in the dip yube Iv'e been reading up on though... even if I do (have the hose without the flow restrictors), Im sure I can make it neat with a bit of faffing about.

So are perlick flow control taps the way to go?

Simple theory...

The least obstruction to flow will have the least turbidity, i.e. foam in beer.

plastic picnic taps have minimal parts and introduce next to none in the beer path. i.e. they work well but require longer line.

any shank/tap setup is bad. HOWEVER, the flow controls have compensation built in them and are great quality & don't need longer line.

PS: Some people just have sour grapes... whatever.

Filter use =

If they paid for it - They must say the like it!

Performance of my Flow Control Perlicks = Meeeh!

Screwy

Filter use =

If they paid for it - They must say the like it!

Performance of my Flow Control Perlicks = Meeeh!

Screwy

Well I've had mine for over 12 months now, yes I paid for them as I did many taps before my Flow Control Perlicks.

Performance of my Flow Control Perlicks= Best things I've had in the bar.

DSCF2980.JPG

Batz

Flow control Perlicks are the single greatest thing to put on a keggerator EVER. End of story. If you can't get them to work like a charm in about 10 seconds then either your shanks are stuffed or crap and need replacing or the Beer God hates you very very much. It's really not that hard.

Well I've had mine for over 12 months now, yes I paid for them as I did many taps before my Flow Control Perlicks.

Performance of my Flow Control Perlicks= Best things I've had in the bar.

View attachment 59863

Batz

To be more specific: I replaced two Micro Matic FC taps and shanks from the US mounted on a non chilled three tap font on a Keggerator with two Perlick FC's.

The keggerator is located in my shed/brewery where temps have been at plus 30's lately. Similar to the Micro Matic Taps they replaced the first pour is foamy. If I was using them in a busy bar I would probably be very impressed. Previous Micro Matic system was balanced, I have not shortened beer line. Serving from a non chilled font with time in between pours they have provided no improvement on the Micro Matic's they replaced.

I have been using a FC Celli knock off with matching shank (had to order this separately) for over 12 months which has always poured with less foam than the Micro Matics and the new Perlkicks.

Screwy

To be more specific: I replaced two Micro Matic FC taps and shanks from the US mounted on a non chilled three tap font on a Keggerator with two Perlick FC's.

The keggerator is located in my shed/brewery where temps have been at plus 30's lately. Similar to the Micro Matic Taps they replaced the first pour is foamy. If I was using them in a busy bar I would probably be very impressed. Previous Micro Matic system was balanced, I have not shortened beer line. Serving from a non chilled font with time in between pours they have provided no improvement on the Micro Matic's they replaced.

Screwy

Sounds like your bar is not as busy as mine Mike. :party:

Sounds like your bar is not as busy as mine Mike. :party:

No way mate, beers for me once a week. Son pours himself a few each night with probably 20 min in between. Be interesting to see how they perform when we have the next local brewers brewshare day at my place. They may perform better in the cooler months.

Screwy

Back