Perceptions Of Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 384

Reaction score
Last night a mate came over and brought his cousin who is on holiday from Germany. We started to talk about beer and it seems that in Germany they have a totaly different view to beer than we do in Oz (not surprising really).

In Oz the common perception of beer is that it's good for getting p!$$@& on. It should be cheap and ice cold. It's also seen as a bit crude, particularly in comparison to wine, which has a higher status

Our German cousins see it in a completely different way. Beer is not perceived as negatively. It's often advertised as a healthy choice with restorative qualities. What really impressed me was that it's legal to buy beer at the age of 16 (also wine). Spirits and coolers etc can't be bought until 18. The coolers are associated with getting p!$$@&, but beer is just something you drink and enjoy.

Top work German legilsators!

Cheers
MAH

What we need here in Australia is beer education.
I cringe when I see people drink beer just to get hammered and in most cases it's mega swill. I enjoy savouring a beer either craftbrewed, homebrewed or commercial (good quality of course) more so than wine. And if you savour it enough you may end pissed but at least you can enjoy the experience.
The Germans have hundreds of years of brewing history behind them and they are proud of it as they should be.

C&B
TDA

My wife and daughter spent a year in Bavaria, some of it in the Hallertau district, but most in Munich itself. When I visited, we had some beers at the brewery in Au (in Hallertau). It had been brewing continuously for something like 780 years, and was still owned by the local Baron. Beer just doesn't get much better (especially when it's served in 1.3 litre glasses - the 500ml glasses are generally for breakfast beers like heferweisen).

Beer as a food group, what an outstanding idea!

Latest posts

Back