penicllin yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butisitart

Reaction score
this is for all you yeast and chemistry people-
just regrew a 4 year old 1/4 pack of wyeast kolsch (unused) as an experiment.
ready to go into brew (currently on boil), but
has slight odour of the penicillin smell on an slightly blue orange (like the fruit).
will probably toss it, but does that flavour turn up in any wild yeast belgians, for example??
it's not offensive, but it's certainly there.
i'm half tempted to use it, but it may (or may not) overpower the beer on flavour.
any takers??

It's quite hard to describe smells and what they may or may not be. I would toss it and start again?

Sort of Blue Cheese smell, that's Penicillium, the bacteria we get Penicillin from.
Brewing yeast and Penicillium can co-exist which is one of the many reasons to keep cheese making well away from breweries.
Mark

Sort of Blue Cheese smell, that's Penicillium, the bacteria we get Penicillin from.
Brewing yeast and Penicillium can co-exist which is one of the many reasons to keep cheese making well away from breweries.
Mark
oh, that will be the other part of the smell, it has a slight buttery in there somewhere.
it's short of offensive, but the 'orange penicillin' is a bit overpowering. decided against using it, but
cos it's so borderline, i'm doing a primitive 750ml bottle fermenter with an alfoil exhaust pipe LOL.
from that, i'll do 2x 330mls. bit of stuffing around, boys own science project haha. curiosity
has got the better of me, i could almost have dumped a shortish dose of it in one fermenter to give it a run, but only read these posts after the event.
i'll come back after my 330s get to drinking age.

Latest posts

Back