Pellicle Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vrtigo

Reaction score
Hi AHBers,

So, I attempted my first Brett beer recently - made a Berliner Weisse in early November and now, 3 months later I am keen to give it a try. Before carbonating / tasting it I thought I would have a quick look at it and was surprised to see that it still had a Pellicle on top. I have heard some people say that a pellicle is a sign that the Brett is still active and that you should not drink a beer until the pellicle has subsided. Others have said that it does not matter in a Kegging situation as you are drawing from the bottom and the chilling / carbonation will destroy the pellicle anyway.

What do you guys think?

unnamed1.jpg

Has anybody had any experience with this type of thing?

As an aside, my process was - brew a Berliner (kettle soured) as normal --> fermented until FG stable --> transfer to keg, add Brett (Wyeast) , fit keg with a once way valve into the in gas port (to stop any pressure build up) --> wait 3 months. I also added some bottle dregs from a barrel aged sour beer about 2 monts ago and the pellicle was present then so has been there for at least 2 months.

Appreciate any feedback,

-Vrtigo

taste it if your happy with it keg it. I've had some pellicle never drop, I've also had some that have never formed.

basically from my understanding its the beer protecting itself from oxygen.

correct Barls.. same as my understanding anyway

Thanks for the feedback, I'll hook it up to gas and see how it tastes.

Back