pelick pc v ss

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

givemeamash

Reaction score
Have done a fair bit of reading and have not heard much from anyone with perlick 525 pc taps. Everyone raves about the flow control ones which are chrome plated but very little from anyone with 525pc. I would like to go stainless but with everyone so happy with the flow control taps which are chrome, why bother with ss when pc taps (non fc) are half the price??? Any thoughts from those in the know?

My pc flow control taps seem just fine, if they were stainless I don't know if my beer would taste better, it might?

The stainless taps are more durable I've been told. I probably want be drinking from the same taps in 30 years though so that's not a big deal to me. My HLT is aluminium so I have no idea what I'm saying though.

jc64 said:
My pc flow control taps seem just fine, if they were stainless I don't know if my beer would taste better, it might?

The stainless taps are more durable I've been told. I probably want be drinking from the same taps in 30 years though so that's not a big deal to me. My HLT is aluminium so I have no idea what I'm saying though.
I too have ally stuff in my brewery...

what was I saying?

Oh yeah - fritz

and taps.... I have chrome flow control and chrome non flow control - personally I don't think the flow controls are as great as everyone else states, I still have to run almost 2metres of hose in my system (10psi serving) to get decent control out of the flow control - yet I can get it fully balanced the non flow control with 3 metres hose.

I'm not banking on these taps lasting 30 years either, I went with what I could afford at the time and i'm rapped. forward sealing are SOOO much better than std brumbies...

ehat's that ? time for marshmallow?

printed forms section said:
I too have ally stuff in my brewery...

what was I saying?

Oh yeah - fritz

and taps.... I have chrome flow control and chrome non flow control - personally I don't think the flow controls are as great as everyone else states, I still have to run almost 2metres of hose in my system (10psi serving) to get decent control out of the flow control - yet I can get it fully balanced the non flow control with 3 metres hose.

I'm not banking on these taps lasting 30 years either, I went with what I could afford at the time and i'm rapped. forward sealing are SOOO much better than std brumbies...

ehat's that ? time for marshmallow?
I can just open the door of my fridge enough to change the kegs with the length of my beer lines, flow control is my friend, yes.

Thanks for getting back to me fellas, still not sure where to go with it though.

i reckon you'd easily get 5 years out of a perlick chrome. maybe lifetime out of stainless.. it's a personal maths question on funds really....

I have the 525 stainless Perlicks, 4 of them on a keezer. I've never used flow control taps, so can only speak to the SS ones.

I have 2-3 metres coiled on top of the kegs for each line with zipties to keep the line tidy. The slightly shortened line of flow control didn't appeal that much.
I only go in the freezer once every few weeks and only need to move lines when swopping out a keg so not a big deal for me.

Having John Guest connections is probably a bigger deal personally in terms of convenience, especially the 90 degree bends that rotate on the back of the tap shanks.
Make it easy to keep things tidy/swop connections for bottling or cleaning etc.

I just 'set and forget' to carb my kegs, don't mess around with force carbing, I just connect up at serving pressure and leave for 4-5 days.

It sounds like a win/win kind of a dilemma, never heard complaints about either type of Perlick.

My flow controls did get some corrosion from being left wet in a bucket between moves. Won't clean away. If ss, would've been easy to fix.

I reckon that the plastic perlicks are the ants pants, I have tried all the taps available locally and found that unless you can chill the tap, foamy heads take a long time to pour. With the plastic taps, a quick pour of 2 fingers into the glass, drink that and the tap is now chilled and easy to pour a beautiful beer. They have a couple of thin rubber seals and these can be a pain if you dismantle them, but PBW through the lines followed by starsan and you probably will not have to pull them apart too often.

I get perfect pour everytime with my flow control perlicks. I have un-cooled tower fonts on top of my keezer. I use the method I found on here a while ago where for the first pour, you close the flow control lever off to start and then slowly increase the flow. Gives a perfect beer with no waste and the tap is then cold for subsequent pours. Works a treat.

Love the flow control perlicks. Cant believe how easy they are. If you still need heaps of line with a FC, then youre doing something wrong Printed forms section. Not being a smartarse, but theyre for having short line. What kind of problems do you get with short line & FC?

I used the minimum possible line with my PC545s to allow me to open the fridge door, no problems at all. Even my drunk mates could work out how to adjust the flow if needed.

Back