Peated Tripel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJR

I'm out
Reaction score
What do you reckon - Peated malt in a Tripel?

Not much, maybe 5% or so?

Reckon it could either overshadow what is quite a delicate, multilayered beer or it could be fantastic like a bruichladdich (light, delicate but peat smoked whisky).

Do you have a perfected tripel recipe you're trying it on because that would be the first thing I'd want to work out.

OK, i have a basic recipe nutted out, feedback welcome. Gone for about 2% peated malt, the carafa is just for colour.

Dextrose will be fed in as the yeast gets pumping and ferment will be around 20-22C followed by coldish conditioning for a while and extended bottle conditioning (probably under the house)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Tripel the Peat
Brewer: DJR
Asst Brewer:
Style: Belgian Tripel
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 14.00 L
Boil Size: 16.03 L
Estimated OG: 1.081 SG
Estimated Color: 10.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 23.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.20 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (3.Grain 77.86 %
0.10 kg Peat Smoked Malt (5.5 EBC) Grain 2.43 %
0.01 kg Carafa Special III (Weyermann) (925.9 EBC)Grain 0.24 %
43.30 gm Saaz [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 23.7 IBU
1.11 gm Baking Soda (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.11 gm Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
2.22 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
2.22 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
0.80 kg Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 EBC) Sugar 19.46 %
18.00 L Antwerp, Belgium Water
1 Pkgs Trappist High Gravity (Wyeast Labs #3787) Yeast-Wheat

Mash Schedule: Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 3.31 kg
----------------------------
Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Medium Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Saccharification Add 8.63 L of water at 74.4 C 67.8 C
40 min Step Add 4.12 L of water at 88.9 C 74.0 C

save us a bottle mate and ill swap you for a smoked dark strong

Smoke dark strong I'm sold on but like manticle I'm not sure about a smoked triple. Love to try it though. Def post up results.

One question, Why feed with dex? Why not sugar?
Ok 2 questions, why the 40min at 74C?

Im curious to see how it turns out also, a slight faint taste of smokey goodness in a tripel would be interesting. Id certainly feed with clear belgium candy sugar instead of dex though.

One question, Why feed with dex? Why not sugar?
Ok 2 questions, why the 40min at 74C?

1) Don't like invertase - might invert/candi some sugar and use that instead - d-glucose/dextrose won't have to go through that step but i guess traditionally the belgians use invert or candi sugar. Not hard to boil up some sugar with citric or go buy some clear/light candi.
2) Beersmith - still getting the hang of it - it's not my normal program. The mash schedule should just be 60m at 67C, mashout at 74C, runoff then single batch sparge

5% will be way too much but i reckon 2% could be alright. There is enough spice and other flavour from the 3787 which doesn't tend to throw a lot of bubblegum or other esters in the beer.

save us a bottle mate and ill swap you for a smoked dark strong

I think i still have one of them from the july swap barls - sitting under the house :)

I'm really thinking of some left of field stuff this year.... spices, herbs, coffee, weird grains and all sorts...

The amount of peated needed depends on how long you plan to age it, if at all.

I added 500g in a Scottish Ale. After 6 months its smokey but has lost the peaty flavour. What you ate adding will give subtle complexity but not scream peated malt. Depends what you ate after.

Either way it will be tasty.!

OK, i have a basic recipe nutted out, feedback welcome. Gone for about 2% peated malt, the carafa is just for colour.

If you had my peated porter from the July swap, I used about 1.9% peat in it and for the first few weeks all you could taste was the peat, 6 weeks on and it was getting balanced, that was in a dark roasty porter grain bill though. I used 1% in a RIS and it was peat malt dominated for the first few weeks and after a few months only just detectable as the other flavours developed; mind you it was an 11.2% beer.

I would second what is said by others in regard to it being a much paler beer, but on other hand it is a strong beer so it may balance, I think the age you plan to drink will be the key as said.

Cheers
Jason.

I think i still have one of them from the july swap barls - sitting under the house :)

I'm really thinking of some left of field stuff this year.... spices, herbs, coffee, weird grains and all sorts...
that would be first batch, i did a second batch which is smokier
im all for out there beers

Just about to heat up the mash water on this one and have smacked a 3787 pack.

I am taking the carafa out, and using only 60g of PDM on this which is about 1.5% after reading some more info on homebrewtalk. Fresh pack of Saaz to open .... sweet.

All done, will pitch 'er in the morning. Bit under volume but otherwise OK, easy to fix that problem (must remember to up the boil off volumes in beersmith).Tasting some of the hydro sample post boil there is a faint background of smoke/peat and plenty of spice from the saaz hops - further updates as i have some :)

This just picked up 2nd of show Tanunda brewing comp, 44 points, 2 off BoS :)

good work mate, look forward to trying it.

This just picked up 2nd of show Tanunda brewing comp, 44 points, 2 off BoS :)

well there you go - I thought it would taste like shit and figured that would be a valueless contribution to the original post... it seems I was right about the valueless-ness, if for no reason other than because I was wrong about the tasting like shit-ness.

Well done; and especially so for walking out into the unknown and giving something new a go.

Top work sir.

TB

Latest posts

Back