Pasta Maker As Grain Mill?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airgead

Ohhh... I can write anything I like here
Reaction score
Folks

I was cleaning out the kitchen the other day and found the pasta maker that I was given ages ago and use once in a pink fit. I was about to stuff it back into the cupboard when I remembered that one of the things on my "things to buy next" list is a grain mill.

Now for those of you who don't know what a pasta maker is, it consists of two steel rollers with adjustable separation and a crank handle. Sound familiar?

Has anyone used a pasta maker as a grain mill? I figure all it would take is some sort of hopper to feed grain in and it might just work. No chance of motorising it but I'm only doing 4-5 kg at a atime so it shouldn't be that difficult.

Any suggestions?

Cheers
Dave

if its one of the marga type ones from italy, they do infact have a motor drive availible, the ony thing i can see being a problem is the rollers being to smooth, but then maybe you can get the rollers of a marga grain mill to fit?

I think the rollers are a bit soft for that sort of work

Airgead said:
Folks

I was cleaning out the kitchen the other day and found the pasta maker that I was given ages ago and use once in a pink fit. I was about to stuff it back into the cupboard when I remembered that one of the things on my "things to buy next" list is a grain mill.

Now for those of you who don't know what a pasta maker is, it consists of two steel rollers with adjustable separation and a crank handle. Sound familiar?

Has anyone used a pasta maker as a grain mill? I figure all it would take is some sort of hopper to feed grain in and it might just work. No chance of motorising it but I'm only doing 4-5 kg at a atime so it shouldn't be that difficult.

Any suggestions?

Cheers
Dave
[post="69938"][/post]​

I tried using a pasta maker but it was difficult to get grain to go between the rollers. It tended to just sit on them unless you pushed it down which quickly became tedious. After about 100g I'd had enough. :(

Unless you knurl the rollers it won't work. They are just too smooth to drag the grain through.
Food processor will work though

Can you please describe the food processor method??

... I've got one of them!! ;)

me too please explain it to us

jimmysuperlative said:
Can you please describe the food processor method??

... I've got one of them!! ;)
[post="69966"][/post]​
Surely the only way to crack grain with a food processor is to bung it in and give it a blast. :lol: :beerbang:
I don't think it would give the best results though. :blink:

And I wouldn't put wheat through a food processor, unless it doesn't get used or returned to SWMBO.
The wheat malt is tougher and will scratch the plastic, so I'm told.

Beers,
Doc

RobW said:
I tried using a pasta maker but it was difficult to get grain to go between the rollers. It tended to just sit on them unless you pushed it down which quickly became tedious. After about 100g I'd had enough. :(
[post="69951"][/post]​

Ahh well. Nice idea while it lasted.

Maybe I'll make some pasta instead.

Cheers
Dave

i actually got one the rollers knurled on an old pasta maker. however deadly is right, they are to soft to take a proper knurl.

instead i got 'grooves' cut into the rollers, it did work and worked well but it clogged up rather quickly with flour and that was that.

i guess it would make some funky looking pasta now.

JS and Barls,
I made my first 30 or so all-grain beers with a food processor. Even took my first couple of medals at state HB shows using this method.
As Doc said, DON'T use SWMBO's pride and joy because it will scratch the plastic.
Go to a Salvo's or OP shop or garage sale and get one of your own. Should be about $20.
What I used to do was put the grain into the bowl, tip it on its side (important) and turn it on. Give it a few pulses with shaking. Open lid, check the crush. Repeat until most of the grain is cracked. You will get some "flour". Don't worry about it too much. So long as it is not all flour it will be OK.
The amount you will save on bulk purchases of grain will soon allow you to purchase a mill. It will also allow you to have a go at all-grain brewing (get you hooked)
cheers
Darren
(My first batches I used hammers, rolling pins, beer bottles. None of these work to crush malted barley.)

arthur said:
I am thinking of using my mulcher. Any thoughts?
[post="70240"][/post]​
You can only try. Dont forget to update us on the results.

johnno

arthur said:
I am thinking of using my mulcher. Any thoughts?
[post="70240"][/post]​

Not sure if you are joking or not.
Give it a good clean first. You will probably want to run the grain through a couple of times to crack most of the grain
If it is a petrol mulcher, forget it!

Back