Passionfruit Ale!?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've learnt and am still learning tonnes from this site, thanks to all for your guidance.
First batch was a failure, second batch came up well and is still conditioning nicely.
Put down my third batch last saturday so its coming up on a week now and its a departure from the amber malt I've been adding in my first two batches:

Cooper draught tin
ESB extra light extract tin
Saf S-04 ("rockstar yeast" as others have pointed out)
2 cascade teabags steeped for 10 minutes then chucked into the fermenter.

It's light, super fruity, reminds me of a bright ale of some sort, but my taste buds arent refined enough to remember which or name drop. Just well impressed! I think if I make it again I'll make it a 22L batch instead of 23L. OG was only 1.040 and so far its down to 1.016 thereabouts but I think my fermenter is getting too cold at the moment, down under 16C which is slowing down the S04.

Second batch has come up well, but I think it was a victim of some heat early on in the brew so its a bit on the chemical side, or maybe needs more conditioning:
Cooper Aus Pale Ale
ESB Amber extract
S04
2 x Ringwood hop teabags

I've been pouring boiling water on the hopbags which I just read was a nono. 3 parts boiling to 1 part cold? I'll do that next time.

Loving this caper and as my wife has pointed out I should make it a pyramid scheme. since I put my first batch down at Xmas, 2 other mates have revived their old uni day habits of brewing and 2 other mates are sitting on the fence about to fall in with us. Looking forwards to a variety of homebrew in the circle of mates!

boiling water for hops is fine. i think you getting confused with steeping grains. they need to be steeped at around 65-75deg.

general rule for hops is 30-60mins imparts bitterness, 10-30 imparts flavour, 10-0(flameout)-dry hop imparts aroma. something to experiement with in the future.

If your really keen to brew beer, accurate temp control while fermenting is fairly important. consider buying an old fridge and wire up a temp controller to it. search this site for more info.

also with the yeast, i read somewhere here that S04 is good for malty flavours, and S05 is good for hoppy flavours, so yeh depending on what your after.

If you're after passionfruit, chuck in 1-1.5g/L galaxy hops boiled for 5min.

Chuck some more in for dry hopping if youre really after some passionfruit.

Cascade is nice and fruity, although not overly full of passionfruit like galaxy is

Best part about the homebrewing game is the experimentation and the learning that comes with it.

Keep it up brent.

Sponge

If you're after passionfruit, chuck in 1-1.5g/L galaxy hops boiled for 5min.

Chuck some more in for dry hopping if youre really after some passionfruit.

Cascade is nice and fruity, although not overly full of passionfruit like galaxy is

Best part about the homebrewing game is the experimentation and the learning that comes with it.

Keep it up brent.

Sponge

Agree with sponge. Also try amarillo...i did a extract beer a few years ago with a good amount of late addition amarillo (probably too much..first time trying out fresh hops) and it was very passionfruity. Kinda tasted like the juice in the bottom of a fruit salad...you know the stuff with bits of orange, kiwi fruit, passionfruit seeds etc.

Back