Party Mini Kegs Again, Cutting And Welding

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claypot

Reaction score
Has anyone that is handy with a TIG or MIG welder made party / mini kegs from 19 litre corny kegs?
Although the sprayer mini keg is a great idea and cheap way to go, I've never been keen drinking anything from plastic.
So I was thinking, the 19 litre kegs are not quite big enough and the mini ones are too expensive.
Was thinking of cutting two up to make one smaller and one bigger keg.
As far as I can see it would be best to weld on the inside due to sanitaion, however this is also the hardest way.
Any way anyone had any experience with this?

Has anyone that is handy with a TIG or MIG welder made party / mini kegs from 19 litre corny kegs?
Although the sprayer mini keg is a great idea and cheap way to go, I've never been keen drinking anything from plastic.
So I was thinking, the 19 litre kegs are not quite big enough and the mini ones are too expensive.
Was thinking of cutting two up to make one smaller and one bigger keg.
As far as I can see it would be best to weld on the inside due to sanitaion, however this is also the hardest way.
Any way anyone had any experience with this?
How big are you looking for? we can get 9 litre corny kegs here in europe - though they often cost as much or more than the 18/19 litre ones! At least they are plug and play tho, unless you were looking forward to the welding!

Yeah the 9 litre ones would be fine.
They are around $190 here new, I've noticed some guys from this forum are getting 2nd hand ones from Europe for between $85 and $110 second hand delivered, depending on amount ordered.
Certainly not looking forward to the welding. But I've always thought a 23 litre keg would be good to have.
Cheers Clayton.

Yeah the 9 litre ones would be fine.
They are around $190 here new, I've noticed some guys from this forum are getting 2nd hand ones from Europe for between $85 and $110 second hand delivered, depending on amount ordered.
Certainly not looking forward to the welding. But I've always thought a 23 litre keg would be good to have.
Cheers Clayton.

seems to be a thread on what you are looking for... http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=19273

Nice one thanks mate, I guess my search skills need practice.

As far as I can see it would be best to weld on the inside due to sanitaion....

???????????

Unless you're doing sanitary, stainless, food grade whatever weld it's called, i wouldn't be doing this...I can imagine the rooting around would make it that much a pain in the ass you'd be much better off just shelling out the cash for whatever it is you are after.
Also, could you guarantee that whoever does the welding, that the resulting product could withstand enough pressure to be used as a keg.

What about the pressure required if you ever want to force carbonate it...

Personally, and not trying to be Mr Asshole, i wouldn't bother with it.

For the record, my old man (ahb member "Old Farts Brauhaus") is a welder, and has a workshop out back of his house with arc, mig and tig welding capabilities, and even with all of the tools at his disposal (and ulitmately mine if i ever need anything done) i still wouldn't bother.

That's just my opinion though.

Big Nath

Cheers for the replies,
While I was in between jobs I worked in a exhaust factory making exhaust systems for new cars.
When they showed me what I was expected to weld and the speed needed I thought they were dreaming.
We welded 0.8 - 1.2 mm stainless with old wia MIG's.
By the end of my stint there I had the MIG maxed out at 180 amps but if you got the angles wrong you'd cut the pipes in half.
So I've no worries welding on the out side. However the inside will have to be welded also to maintain good sanitation - thats the hard bit.
As for the pressure rating, a quick hydrotest will comfirm if the weld is sound or not.
I think it is do-able but as you said Big Nath it may not be worth the bother.
Has anyone got one of the Chinese 23 lt kegs? I'm thinking the quality would be marginal?
Cheers Clayton.

Has anyone got one of the Chinese 23 lt kegs? I'm thinking the quality would be marginal?
Cheers Clayton.

There is a discussion floating around about them, details about the welds start here: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&p=797810

It looks like they may not be suitable for storing beer in the kegs, especially with the lack of sanitary welds and folds in the internal of the keg.

Latest posts

Back