Partigyle second runnings - pale ale + stout?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbaker9

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am planning to do 2x partigyle batches to get 25L of barleywine. I plan to cap the runnings of the 2 batches to get a pale ale from one and a stout from the other.

Grain bill for the barley wine is:
Maris Otter 64%
Biscuit 13%
Aromatic 13%
Dark Crystal 10%

OG 1st runnings ~ 1.090, 2nd runnings ~ 1.045

Any tips for what I should use to cap the 2 batches would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking ~ 500g of Crystal in the Pale Ale (or even not add anything) and 500g roasted barley into the stout, but very open to suggestions.

Cheers
James

I wouldn't add anything for the pale, I did this recipe as a partigyle and was still to this day one of the best beers (the barleywine) I've ever had. I did age it for 12 months. It was no chilled and used fresh wet cascade. I think my pale turned out at about 1.054 OG by memory. If you're going to do a stout I'd add something for body as well as roastiness, Gladiator malt is good for that. Might end up more of a porter though.

American Barleywine

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 21.0
Total Grain (kg): 12.775
Total Hops (g): 267.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.130 (°P): 30.1
Final Gravity (FG): 1.033 (°P): 8.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 12.77 %
Colour (SRM): 23.4 (EBC): 46.1
Bitterness (IBU): 109.3 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
11.191 kg American 2-Row (87.6%)
0.639 kg Crystal 15 38 EBC (5%)
0.639 kg Crystal 80 212 EBC (5%)
0.153 kg Chocolate, Pale (1.2%)
0.153 kg Special-B (1.2%)

Hop Bill
----------------
40.0 g Galaxy Pellet (13.6% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.9 g/L)
37.0 g Magnum Pellet (11.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.8 g/L)
20.0 g Cascade Leaf (5.7% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
110.0 g Cascade Leaf (5.7% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (5.2 g/L)
25.0 g Centennial Pellet (8.5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (1.2 g/L)
35.0 g Galaxy Pellet (13.4% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (1.7 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 65°C for 90 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with Wyeast 1056 - American Ale

Notes
----------------
aimed higher due to grain absortion and partigyle brewing meaning no sparge.

actual desired volume is 19L and desired OG is 1.120

Handy little equation Plato of first runnings = Yield potential of malt / L:G + Yield potential of malt
Say your malt had a yield potential of 75% if you mashed at a L:G of 3:1, oP = 0.75/3+0.75 = 0.2 or 0.2*100 = 20oP or 1.080 in SG.
You could rearrange the equation, or just put it in a spreadsheet and run a "goal seek" to work out the L:G you need to hit your target (preboil) gravity. Remember that for a barley wine a longer boil is a help (lots of extra protein and lower hop isomerisation at higher gravities), I would be thinking 2 hours, so allow for the wort concentration.
Mark

I've been thinking about doing this for a couple of months and this recipe might be what gives me a bump. I'll need to get my head around that equation first methinks.

Its very useful, the Yield you want to put in is the Coarse Grind As Is (CGAI), if you haven't got access to the exact info, for a decent base malt it will usually be in the 75-77% range, unless you have a lot of specialty/dark malt in the recipe around 75-6% will be close.
Personally the barley wines I have enjoyed the most are way down the paler end, the best was 100% GP and a 3 hour boil, bittered with EKG (just the one addition), there was a fair amount of colour and flavour development from the long boil, silky smooth after a year or so.
Because of the high gravity I would look seriously at a Glucan and Protein rest and Scarification heavily biased toward Beta Amylase, There will still be plenty of unfermentable products in there to add body, the long boil means you can aim at a lower gravity going into the kettle 1.060-1.070 range (higher L:G favors B-Amylase), probably mash in at about 2.1-2.5:1 then add boiling water to reach ~62oC mash for 60-90 minutes then mashout and only use first runnings.

Should be a fair wack of extract left to make a second beer (partigyle) if that what you want to do.
Mark

Latest posts

Back