Partigyle Feedback

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonocarroll

uıɐbɐ ʞunɹp ɯ,ı
Reaction score
Heya folks, it's been a while. Too long. "Hi" to those whom I haven't seen IRL. I haven't actually brewed since late 2011 (the new brew-assistant is nearing 15 months old, I've done maybe two batches in that time), so I'm probably a little rusty around the edges.

Anyhoo, I figure I'll do a partigyle to get myself back into the habit.

Problem #1 - I've never done one before.

Problem #2 - I can't seem to be bothered planning it down to minute detail, it's probably going to be easier to just knock out some beers and see what happens. I'll learn from that and do better next time.

My plan involves making an Irish Red Ale from the first runnings, then a black IPA from the remainder.

In light of this, I'm keen on people thoughts of the following;

8.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter [ 73.40 % ]
1.80 kg Carared [ 16.29 % ]
0.80 kg Caramel Rye [ 7.24 % ]
0.15 kg Carafa Special I [ 1.36 % ]

mashed in (3V gravity system) at 68C (25L) for 60 minutes.

Very start of the first runnings boiled vigorously to caramelise a little.

Predicted total OG is 1.051 pre-boil, 54L. Cursory partigyle calculations (assuming 2/3 of the points in the first half of the runnings) puts the first 27L at 1.068, the rest at 1.034. I'm planning to take 25L first runnings, then water it down to about 1.058.

That goes into the kettle along with

40.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.80 %] (60 min) [ 16.2 IBU ]
20.00 gm Bramling Cross [6.00 %] (30 min) [ 7.8 IBU ]

for a 60 minute boil.

Meanwhile,

0.30 kg Black Malt [ 2.71 % ]

added to mash tun and re-filled with mash-out water to sit patiently for an hour.

Once the red ale is boiled, that goes into a cube for no-chill, and second runnings go into the uncleaned kettle (hop-screen keeps the EKG & BC in there), batch sparged, hopefully hitting about 1.038, 30L. I'll boil this longer (90 mins) and hopefully bring the gravity up a little. Along the way;

60.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.50 %] (60 min) [ 58.3 IBU ]
60.00 gm Galaxy [14.90 %] (30 min) [ 58.0 IBU ]
(+ whatever I feel like throwing at it nearing the end of the boil)

Once this is boiled, it too goes into a cube for no-chill.

I'll ferment the black IPA first with WLP004, then throw the red ale onto some of the slurry.

-----

My targets will surely be off, trying to put that much malt into my single-batch setup, but that's where the suck-it-and-see aspect comes in. Sure, it's probably just as easy to do the batches separately, but there's some fun in saying it's all from the 'one batch'.

So... thoughts?

I should probably add - if any Adelaidians are interested in pointing out all my mistakes in person on the 8th of Sept, drop me a line.

Hay QB.. I tried my hand at Partigyle a few weeks ago and loved it.. Wolfy posted some links, cant seem to find em now but the maths did my head in so I ended up playing it by feel..

HERE

will try to dig up those tools for you.

Hay QB.. I tried my hand at Partigyle a few weeks ago and loved it.. Wolfy posted some links, cant seem to find em now but the maths did my head in so I ended up playing it by feel..

HERE

HERE's one I did read

HERE

HERE's one I did read
Cheers for that - I did read the morebeer page before starting. The spreadsheet you linked to seems to more or less agree with my preliminary calculations. My boil times might need to rise a little, but I think this is on track.

As for the recipes... ?

Im far from an expert in this sort of thingbut looks OK to me.. I think I used about 11-12kg and ended up with a 1075 and a 1045 so what you have plugged in seems about right as a gut feel.

as with alot of these off the cuff sorts of days it comes down to suck it and see, adjust next time if required..

my last attempt was sort of partigyle by default.. I wanted to see how much grain I could get into my MT and when it was all said and done I realised I hadnt pulled out quite a bit of the sugars so filled the MT again and added back bits of spec grain and let it recirc while I was on the primary boil. Wasnt very much science in it but I did get 2 beers ;)

Photo's of the brewday please :)

Back