Partially frozen keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rude

Reaction score
Had a kolsch on tap with an English Bitter & an APA taped the temp probe for stc on the beer out line of the kolsch

The kolsch keg was in the corner of my keezer where ice had built up a bit as I do serve cold, old school Aussie
I know too cold you loose the flavour old habits die hard

Well the Bitter & APA were fine but the Kolsch I thought was a bit astringent so went down the water adjustment mash ph path, bought an R/O unit & also opened up mill rollers

As the keg went on put the flavour as more alchohol as the temp probe fell off while fermenting & it got up to 22 for a day
was spewing

Noticed I was getting quite pissed quick on it & right off the fusels, solvent (high alc flavour) so wrote the keg off as my wife was calling it divorse beer :unsure:

Had a couple of botts from the same batch, tried them & they were fine so boiled up some DME to put in keg trying to fix it
when I lifted the keg out fu*#en huge ice or beer block knocking around inside it

Big lesson learnt here I can tell you ,feel like a bloody idiot, oh well at least it got me into the water adjustments ,yet to try the results from this

Just thought I'de share my blunder in case it helps anyone else (nobody silly as me though)

Should have realise as it was pouring quite slowly from tap but have only just got into keging

Yep, had that once.

It was just one keg in the "fridge only" fridge. I had been away for a few months and when I got back after the fridge hadn't been opened once , everything had gone bad. I was going to tip it and found a huge block of ice inside the back side bottom of the keg.

Wait till you get the beer freezing in the dip tube and line when you start to pour. 1st glass ok, 2nd glass slower, 3rd glass WTF, there is ice in the line and the glass. Beer slushy.

Thats what happened a few kegs ago no beer comming out so taped probe to beer line not realising
it was because keg was against the corner of keezer where ice had built up

Latest posts

Back