Partial recipe conversion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmyone

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I need to convert this to a partial recipe and thought as there are a few options to this one i might see what suggestions are out there. The hops are fine as they are.
Cheers

Alcohol: 5.2%
Bitterness: 42IBU
Colour: 20oEBC
Original gravity 1.052 – 1.054
Final gravity 1.012 – 1.014

Malts 4.6kg Pale malt
300gm Dark Munich (25oEBC)
250gm Light Crystal/Caramalt (50oEBC)
500gm Wheat Malt

Hops 20g UK Goldings pellets at the beginning of boil (I’ve assumed 5%AA)
40g US Cascade pellets (6.8%AA) at say 65min
40g US Cascade pellets (6.8%AA) at 75min
20g Australian Galaxy pellets (14%AA) at 75min

What's the max grain amount you can mash? Need to work out what 'part' of your partial mash is mashed and what part is replaced with extract.

I can only do 2 - 3 kg of grains the rest will have to be extract

Do you use software or a spreadsheet?
Have you mashed before? What method?

Basically plug in all the grain you can mash/steep and add in enough pale extract to get gravity to desired OG.
Mash efficiency will be important and that will differ from system to system so you'll either have to use experience (if you've mashed with your system before) or estimate and adjust post boil. If assuming/estimating, pick something between 60 and 80%.

Nop no spread sheet.
Yes what i userly do is about 2500g grains and a can of extract. I just hold the grains a temp for 60min then sparge by tea bagging in another pot. I've never been real precise about it yet but i'm still learning, mostly just go off the advice of my local brew shop.

So i guess i'll estimate and the adjust pot boil.

This is what i thought

.300 wheat DME
.300 munich
.250Caramalt
.300pale malt

And 2 can extract.

It just looks to have a lot of Grain and extract in it.

You will have a lot more success with consistency and successful conversion if you use a basic spreadsheet or learn to do the by hand calcs yourself (old school equations and formulae). There are some free, easy to use spreadsheets. I use beer recipator (online, free, no joinup/login).

I'm all for freestyle approaches but only once you know your system, ingredients and what to expect.

What I would do - take all the grains apart from the pale. That's close to 1kg. Make up the remaining max mashing capacity with pale malt
Use recipator to get an og with those ingredients and final volume, with 70% mash efficiency. Add in pale extract to the spreadsheet until you hit the same gravity as the recipe. Everything else as is if you can do a full boil.

In your suggested grist above, you are using only about 1 kg of grain (you can mash 3) so up the grain and reduce the extract.

Mash as much grain as your system can, aim to use dme/ldme to make up the difference and you will be all graining in no tine

So use a wheat grain not DME. Does it need to be treated special?

If it's pale, malted wheat it just needs to be mashed. No special treatment otherwise.

I put the recipe into recipator and this is what i came out with. So start with this and adjust post boil?

I'll run the wheat with the grains and treat them the same.
I can comfortably deal with 2kg of grain in my setup so i left it at that.

In your opinion will this be a fairly good likeness (for a partial) to the original recipe?

Better add a thanks in the help has been very..... helpfull

Type: Partial mash Size: 21 liters
Color: 13 HCU (~8 SRM) Bitterness: 42 IBU
OG: 1.051 FG: 1.012
Alcohol: 5.0% v/v (3.9% w/w)

500g Wheat malt
Grain: 300g British Munich
250g American crystal 60L
1kg American 2-row

Mash: 70% efficiency

Boil: minutes SG 1.051 21 liters
2kg Light malt extract