Partial Recipe Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big78sam

Frequent poster - My post count is no reflection o
Reaction score
Hi all,

As my urn has broken and I've run out of beer I'm looking to do a quick stovetop brew to tide me over. I'm looking to use a kit as a base and just add some grain to get a bit of complexity. Never having done a partial before how does this sound

1 coopers dark ale kit
1kg LDME
700g Munich
700g rye
100g choc malt

I plan to do a little mini mash (roughly 5L, minimal sparge) on the stovetop, a quick 30 minute boil with some 25g EKG at each of 15 and 5 minutes. I just have us05 on hand to use tonight as I dont; have time to step up 1084 to pitch tonight. Sound OK? Any suggestions?

I have an old tin of dark ale with a best before of 2008. As I'm ditching the yeast will an old tin be OK or is it worth a drive down to big W for a new one?

Cheers

I have never done a mini mash or partial like this before but wouldn't you want to boil for at least 60min to boil off any DMS? (I don't know if that is an issue with partials?)

Maybe an hour boil is a good idea.

I've never used the spreadsheet as I have beersmith but the including kits is pretty cool. The spreadsheet doesn't seem to cater for any grains that need to be mashed. I've added Munich and Rye and it looks like it could be a goer.

I'm still happy for any improvements on the suggested recipe.

1 coopers dark ale kit
1kg LDME
700g Munich
700g rye
100g choc malt

I plan to do a little mini mash (roughly 5L, minimal sparge) on the stovetop, a 60 minute boil with some 25g EKG at each of 15 and 5 minutes.

This beer is carbed up in the keg and all I can say is "wow". I really wasn't expecting much from this given the "leftovers" approach I took but it is really good and getting better each day I try it. It's up there with some of the AGs I've brewed (but maybe that's an indictment on my brewing skills more than anything else ;) ).

Don't tell Beerfingers but I've learnt you can still make a good beer with no brewing salts, no kettle finings, a non-ideal dry yeast, a cheap Coopers tin and a "chuck it straight in the fermentor" approach.

Back