Partial Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green Iguana

Reaction score
Any suggestions for a partial mash pale ale?......i have used the wyeast 1056 before and thought it was pretty good....but i'd like to use one of the british ale yeasts for a change...i was roughly thinking the following...

2 kg pale malt mashed at 65 C for 1 hour
100g of crystal (not sure about the ebc..it's been in the cupboard for ages)
2 kg LDME (thought that liquid extract might darken the brew too much)
Goldings to 30 IBU
Flavour aroma additions of goldings

English Ale or British Ale
(WLP005) (WLP002)

The 1028 is great, i think it might be the Bass yeast.

Most people who use it seem to say that 1028 is a forgiving, versatile, use in anything yeast and I would tend to agree. But I also like 1275. I split a porter between 1275 and 1028. Exactly the same wort, exactly the same fermentation conditions. Attenuation was identical, taste was very similar, but 1275 gave a better malt aroma and slightly more emphasis on malt flavour whereas 1028 was a little more dry. Either would work in a English Pale Ale I think. Maybe the 1028 in a partial mash to dry out the extract a bit. More detailed notes on the comparison are at
Here

I would definately recommend more crystal than 100g.... more like 400 to 500g would be more to style.

My 2 bobs worth is 100g is alright for a pale.
Ussually i would use around 200-250g for a pale ale either english or american.
400G is too much for myself in such a brew.
If it is low in gravity then you can up the crystal malt but for around 1.050 225g seems to be a good amount.

Cheers green lizard hope the brew goes well.
Jayse

green iguana, how did it turn out??? looking at doing that same brew. any suggestions?

If you like 1275 (I love it!) then you might like to spoil yourself and pitch both the 1275 and 1882 (Thames Valley II) that is how they are menat to be used and give a terrific flavor to the ale.

I am gonna pitch a slurry of each in the OG 1145 burton Old Ale I am brewing Fri, that will attenuate it mebbe 70 points, Nottingham will do the rest but leave the 1275/1882 flavor

Jovial Monk

Back