Partial Mash Tun.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paleman

Reaction score
Gday all.

I'm after a new mini mash tun, my old one is the one Grumpys put out some years ago and is getting a bit old in the tooth. Getting a bit smelly, worn out and hard to clean. Tap is worn out and dribbles, cant get parts to fit.

Something that will hold up to 3 kilos of grain would be great.

Without having to resort to making something myself, would rather just buy something online from a brew shop. Had a look on ebay and the only thing i can find is in America, looks flash and cheap but the shipping price is the killer.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-GAL-PARTIAL-M...=item53dbba5bc2

Anyone have any ideas where i can get one ? Or last resort how to put one together myself.

Much appreciated fellow brewers.

Fill it with taps and accessories (post- or pre-sold), and it will pay for it self.

Just a thought.

:icon_cheers:

Gday all.

I'm after a new mini mash tun, my old one is the one Grumpys put out some years ago and is getting a bit old in the tooth. Getting a bit smelly, worn out and hard to clean. Tap is worn out and dribbles, cant get parts to fit.

Something that will hold up to 3 kilos of grain would be great.

Without having to resort to making something myself, would rather just buy something online from a brew shop. Had a look on ebay and the only thing i can find is in America, looks flash and cheap but the shipping price is the killer.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-GAL-PARTIAL-M...=item53dbba5bc2

Anyone have any ideas where i can get one ? Or last resort how to put one together myself.

Much appreciated fellow brewers.

What's your location?

Not too hard to knock one up yourself, 25L esky, copper manifold etc.

If you live close to me I can help. Not sure where you are though.....

Edit: 25L might be a bit big for what you need? Just re-read your post.....

what about a cheap 40L pot and some swiss voille (biab)? With a 40L pot you could go completely all grain if you wanted to.

Try one of those 15ltr round eskies from bummings.
Put a large grain bag inside and .....Hey presto, mini mash tun?!
Works for me.

Cheers

Live in Whyalla S.A.

To resource anything is just a joke. I give up on this town. cant even buy tins of goo at the supermarket. No understaning for craft hobbys. All my home brew ingrediants are bought over the net.

I dont want to go all grain. I enjoy partial for now.

I respect your decision, but seriously - if you are going to the effort of partial mashing, why not go all grain? The effort of mashing is massive, especially given you are using extract as a base.

The two big arguments against AG are 1. Extra effort - you are doing this anyway and 2. Cost of equipment - BIAB/stovestop method have killed this argument as well.

Sorry to sound uppity (I'm not), it makes no sense to me to stick with partials, once you know your methodology. The switch (such as it is) to AG is minor and the quality and flexibility is massive.

Goomba

I'm with his Lordship- if you're going to refit, it would be an ideal opportunity to upscale to say mashing 5kg and dispense with the partial method for 23L brewlength, particularly if cans of goop are hard to source there in Whyalla. You can continue to do partials on the bigger kit if that's what you want, but you may not be able to do the same size conventional all- grain on the smaller rig. You're also faced with much the same effort with a partial as with all- grain, so it wouldn't be any significant additional workload to switch over.
FWIW, if space or expense is an issue, I mash 4.5 - 5.0kg in a 19L pot for 23L of 1.050 by the MaxiBIAB method linked below (or see Nick JD's 20L Stovetop BIAB method here on AHB). It is a ridiculously cheap all- grain entry point, is very effective and has no expensive hardware that's difficult to source nor any modifications, plus it has a comparatively small footprint.
Its dead easy to get wood/ gooey fork over a shiny new tun though... :icon_cheers:

+1 for what RdeVjun said. I bought a 19L pot for $20 and some Swiss voile for $15 and do BIAB on my stove. I still do partials, mostly because I have a few cans of goo in the cupboard to use up.

Some of the best partials I ever made were a tin o Coopers and a 5L cube of hopped wort.

I did a full BIAB brew to about 1060 using my 40L urn , and split into 4 x 5 L little cubes from Bunnings. They keep for months. Add dex to adjust alc :icon_drunk:
Alternatively split into 2 x 10L cubes for a more meaty version.

I used to do partials using a 15 lt water cooler/esky and a copper manifold similar to Yardys' link. If I was to make a mini mash tun again I would use a copper manifold in one of those white 20lt plastic buckets using some camp mat for insulation, cheap and easy.

Cheers
Gavo.

Back