Partial Mash Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish

Reaction score
Just wondering if someone may be able to help with a good partial mash wheat beer recipe. I will be using Wyeast 3068 - Weihenstephan Weizen Yeast.

Speaking of partial mash recipes can anyone point me in the right direction of a good book, site, etc... I find the bulk of recipes are either All grain or Kit+additions.

Thanks

Fish

1x ESB 1.7Kg Wheat Malt Extract
Malted Wheat 50%
Pilsner Malt 50%
Up to whatever gravity you're after (given your system efficiency).
Hop with Hallertau to your chosen bitterness (20IBUs or so).

No flavour or aroma hop additions. Flavour and aroma should come from the yeast.

Primary for 7-9 days then bottle/keg straight from primary.

I'll be getting my hands on some WLP300 soon and this is the strategy I'll be following.

Fish, try this one - it is version 2 of a great bavarian hefeweizen I made last year and is still in primary, but the original was a knockout and a perfect match to style. The Wyeast goes just as well as the whitelabs.

1.2kg Wheat malt
500g Pilsener Malt
400g Carapils
2kg (2 cans) Morgans liquid wheat malt extract
500g dry wheat malt extract
15g Northern Brewer Hop pellets (9.8%AA) - Fresh Wort Hop - 60 mins
10g Hallertauer hop pellets (5.5%AA) - 30 mins
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1.5L starter of Whitelabs WLP300 Hefeweizen
150g Dextrose - bulk priming

Mash grains at 64C for 90 mins. Ferment at 18C.

Cheers - Snow

If you can it might be nice to bring the mash up to 3Kg

65% wheat malt
35% Aust lager malt

mash in at 50C, rest 20 mins, pull out 1/3 of the grains with a bit of wort, heat this stirring all the time untill it is at 68C, hold it there 20 mins then stirring all the time bring it to a boil and boil for 15 mins, add back to main mash, stir in which should bring mash to 68C, mash for an hour, pull out another 1/3 grains and stirring all the time bring to boil and boil for 15 mins, add back to mash, mix in, and let the mash rest for 10 mins, start sparging.

This way, you get a lot of wheat flavor and the two decoctions ensure there is enough free amino nitrogen for a healthy wheat ferment.

Also, pitch the yeast when the wort is at about 12C, ferment no warmer than 18C

To bring the gravity up I would use dried wheat malt extract, think that stays fresher for longer than the liquid

Jovial Monk

Thanks for the recipes guys. I will give one a crack and let you know how I get on.

Fish

Back