Partial Extract Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerking

Reaction score
HI Guys ,

I have been brewing with 1.5kg LME and 1kg of DME . I would like to try replacing the 1kg of DME with a mini mash of a 2 row base malt. What is the formula for replacing the DME? ,how much malt will i need to maintain a similar starting gravity?

When i played around in Beersmith with 1.5 kg of traditional Ale malt i get a starting gravity of 1.042.This seems fine ,however i have the mash type set as partial and beersmith is only using 3.91 lts of water to mash, does this seem too little water?My mash and boil will be completed in the one pot BIAB style.

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.50 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 50.0 %
1.50 kg Australian Pale Ale Extract (Coopers) (90.0 EBC) Extract 2 50.0 %
10.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 13.0 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 4 -

Any help is greatly apprechiated.

cheers Leigh .

Hi mate,

The answer is not super easy because it depends a lot on the extract efficiency your system will give you as well (to a lesser degree perhaps) as the type of base malt you are using.

Once you have a rough idea of these things, you can simply use your software to calculate the rough amounts.

As a vague idea, I used to use between 3 and 4 kg of LME for a 23L extract brew. Most brews were 1060+

Brewing full mash now and getting close to 70% most brews, I will hit ~1060 with around 6kg of most base malts (plus a few specs thrown in) for a 20-22 L brew.

If you get 50% efficiency or 80%, the ratio will, of course, differ.

If an extract efficiency of 65% is assumed substitute about 1/2 pound of DME or 2/3 pound of syrup extract for 1 pound of grain. "Designing great beers"

Latest posts

Back