Partial: brew assist/query

• Thread starter Brewnicorn
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Brewnicorn

Brewers!
Happy Sunday to you all. Here’s my issue in brief. The usual signs of fermentation aren’t as strong as I’d usually expect (krausen forming, bubbling airlock, swirling wort). It’s early days - less than 24 hours. Id normally be the first to say chill out, but I know what I normally see. I’d love some thoughts from ya’ll about this. What’s happening?

Now the epic story... did this brew yesterday... Here’s the recipe/method and a heads up this is an early days partial (mostly) grain effort. Steep/sparge/boil simple effort. Some name conventions might be wrong - don’t crucify me, still grasping the bits needed even after years of brewing and trying some more advanced things. Basically a SMASH was the idea.

-3kg Ale Malt (Joe White)
-Cascade 15g (@60, 30, 15 & flame out)
-White Labs California Ale Yeast (keen to know more about this - all that was left at LHBS) - not rehydrated.

OG - 1.048

Grain steeped in mash tun for 90mins in at 68 degrees and was at 66 when drained. Approx 8.5 litres used initially (looked a little dry) - slight f/up with forgetting false bottom but fixed up without too much fuss.
Sparged with an additional 9 litres for a boil volume of approx 18-19 litres. Took a 45min gravity cooled and showed a bit low at 1.042 so added 250g DME & final gravity was bang on 1050 or a scratch under - not where I expected to do a rehydrated yeast starter.

Cooled wort in pot ice water bath added to fermenter at 26 degrees and added boiled-cooled water of 3 litres final volume 21 litres and pitched yeast (room temp by instructions) at 22 degrees. My oxygen bottle ran out so this one copped a good shake. Temp control steady about 22 degrees.

Today barely any pressure in airlock. Thin, thin Krausen.

Am I expecting too much of this yeast? I’ve never used liquid yeast before.
I looked at beersmith yesterday and seriously that trial version is useless for a trial. This ‘recipe’ put together from my own research.
Tips, suggestions & criticisms & feedback welcome.
Cheers
Sam

What are you normally using yeast wise? If it’s a different strain you’ll have different results and ‘signs’, likewise if you usually use dry and now liquid. Date of yeast matters too. Just chill out if there is some Krausen it’s started so let it do its thing and reeeelax [emoji106][emoji3]

All sounds fine although I'd look at dropping ferment temp right down. 22 is too high for early fermentation for most yeasts. Considering fermentation is exothermic, your wort is likely up around 24-25.

Make sure yeast is fresh, sufficient and well aerated.

Otherwise, relax. It's fermenting.

All seems good and it should kick off soon. I have always made a starter with liquid yeasts of both brands so can't comment on direct pitching. I love that Wlp-001.

What are you normally using yeast wise? If it’s a different strain you’ll have different results and ‘signs’, likewise if you usually use dry and now liquid. Date of yeast matters too. Just chill out if there is some Krausen it’s started so let it do its thing and reeeelax [emoji106][emoji3]

Hey DJ_L3ThAL - thanks mate. I’ve used to Safale & Lallemand’s offerings. So are the dry yeasts quicker to kick off?

I’ll do my best to relax. [emoji3]

All sounds fine although I'd look at dropping ferment temp right down. 22 is too high for early fermentation for most yeasts. Considering fermentation is exothermic, your wort is likely up around 24-25.

Make sure yeast is fresh, sufficient and well aerated.

Otherwise, relax. It's fermenting.

Thanks Manticle! Lesson here is still you can look like a newb with new tools eh. [emoji3] I’ll go bump the temp down.

All seems good and it should kick off soon. I have always made a starter with liquid yeasts of both brands so can't comment on direct pitching. I love that Wlp-001.

Good to know the yeast is solid. Thanks for the vote of confidence. I’ll crack on. I’ll look into the starters more. Cheers Vini2ton.

get brewmate it will help

Thanks DU99. You rate this one?

I downloaded BrewPal after reading a few forums. Looks pretty simple and that’s good for me but still I could complicate things if I wanted.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_4423.jpg

She turned out ok. Pretty clean. Hops very understated in the mini keg so far. I haven’t quite got the carbonation right. Heads a bit light. Hops are there but a bit light on. The bottled ones should be crackers in a few weeks.

Back