Partial, BIAB and Extract with grains

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tricky Dicky

Reaction score
I have been brewing extract only beer and am looking to step up a notch to somewhere in between all extract and all grains. There seems to be a lot terminology that blurs BIAB, Partial and extract with grains process information. Can anyone tell me what the differences are? And what's the limit of grain you can turn into wort in one batch using a 19 litre pot?

Partial mashing simply means that only part of the wort for the whole batch is produced from a grain mash. The rest is provided by either a kit or unhopped extract. If you use a kit, generally the grain mash replaces the kilo of dry malt or whatever you add to the kit. Extract with grains is usually pretty much all extract plus a small grain steep of something like crystal malt that doesn't require mashing.

BIAB is just a method of mashing grains to create wort. It isn't exclusive to all grain or anything. You can use it with a 19L pot to create small batches, create a smaller amount of high OG and IBU wort for dilution in the fermenter, or for partial mash beers, or you can get a 30 or 40 litre or more pot/urn and do bigger all grain batches with BIAB as well.

I skipped the partial stage when I made the switch, just went straight from extract and steeping grains to a 40L urn and bag set up to do BIAB all grain batches. Never looked back.

I'm just there myself but partial mash is a good start. that's where I am at the moment . first one I did i had a kilo of grain to mash and added that to a tin of LME and a coopers tin. gave me a chance to get the mash done , but if I buggered it up could still make a decent beer, but it all went really well

feel confident I can mash a full BIAB batch. When I have the time gonna give it a go

Partial mashing simply means that only part of the wort for the whole batch is produced from a grain mash. The rest is provided by either a kit or unhopped extract. If you use a kit, generally the grain mash replaces the kilo of dry malt or whatever you add to the kit. Extract with grains is usually pretty much all extract plus a small grain steep of something like crystal malt that doesn't require mashing.

BIAB is just a method of mashing grains to create wort. It isn't exclusive to all grain or anything. You can use it with a 19L pot to create small batches, create a smaller amount of high OG and IBU wort for dilution in the fermenter, or for partial mash beers, or you can get a 30 or 40 litre or more pot/urn and do bigger all grain batches with BIAB as well.

I skipped the partial stage when I made the switch, just went straight from extract and steeping grains to a 40L urn and bag set up to do BIAB all grain batches. Never looked back.
Thanks Rocker1986 for helping to clear that up.

I'm thinking of mashing up to 2.5kg grain in one batch in a 19litte pot would that work? Also I've read conflicting ways of rinsing grains, some recipes say with hot water others (in BYO) with the hot wort you've created with the grains. With water sounds easier and more logical but I wondered if it made a big difference?

Back