parcel rates rise

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellbent

Reaction score
Don't know if its been mentioned anywhere in the forums but as of today parcel postage goes up so Australia Post can cash in on the online shopping happenings. I heard on 3AW this morning that some parcels rates will rise by approx. 30% and there will be a $2.90 fee to sign for goods. Greed comes first again **** Aussie Post!!!

hellbent said:
Don't know if its been mentioned anywhere in the forums but as of today parcel postage goes up so Australia Post can cash in on the online shopping happenings. I heard on 3AW this morning that some parcels rates will rise by approx. 30% and there will be a $2.90 fee to sign for goods. Greed comes first again **** Aussie Post!!!
Bastards!

The $2.90 fee you rant about for a signature is actually a replacement for the product "registered post".

Some products have increased but there are more products to choose from, PLUS you can now have same day delivery of up to 22 kgs.

Aust. post was running in the red for years and now have turned around. How dare a business profit!

I say good on you Aust. for sticking around and providing us with a parcel service that is competitive with couriers - $8.95 for 22kgs posted and delivered within Sydney is a bargain.

And I imagine you complained when they upped the price of stamps too...Aus Post have increased prices about 3 times in the past couple of years but no-one really noticed then.

I have worked in logistics and freight for the past 11 years and Aus Post is still the most consistent company I have dealt with. I have worked with couriers and road freight companies and most hate to deal with residential addresses (some will even drive straight past and not even stop)

I agree with NewtownClown, Aus Post have been stretching there costs for ages now and doing a damn good job at shipping stuff all over the Australia and the world.

Give them a break...you try running a world wide freight company and in the process keep EVERYBODY is happy :p

I can already buy a lot of items posted from Hong Kong (item + post) cheaper than I can get for just the postage cost within our own country. Postage on 3lb of hops from the US is only a couple of dollars more than post within Australia. And they need to put it up more?

NewtownClown said:
economy of scale
I agree in general, but freight planes use the same amount of fuel from Brisbane to L.A. as they do from L.A. to Brisbane.

So do the trucks, and the American posties are probably paid the same.

Nick JD said:
I agree in general, but freight planes use the same amount of fuel from Brisbane to L.A. as they do from L.A. to Brisbane.

So do the trucks, and the American posties are probably paid the same.
The completely broke USPS, yeah?

bum said:
The completely broke USPS, yeah?
The one and only.

Although, does Australia have dedicated freight planes, or does freigh go on passenger planes? That might explain a bit of the discrepancy.

NewtownClown said:
AV fuel and petrol are much cheaper in the US.. Wages are lower, too.
A lot more Mexicans over there...no joke, pretty much every large freight company has cheap Mexican labour running around in there warehouses and shipping yards. They aren't paid to think but ride a forklift all day long for peanuts. Then they wonder why things go missing :blink:

tricache said:
And I imagine you complained when they upped the price of stamps too...Aus Post have increased prices about 3 times in the past couple of years but no-one really noticed then.

I have worked in logistics and freight for the past 11 years and Aus Post is still the most consistent company I have dealt with. I have worked with couriers and road freight companies and most hate to deal with residential addresses (some will even drive straight past and not even stop)

I agree with NewtownClown, Aus Post have been stretching there costs for ages now and doing a damn good job at shipping stuff all over the Australia and the world.

Give them a break...you try running a world wide freight company and in the process keep EVERYBODY is happy :p
No my friend I did not complain when postage stamps went up owing to the fact that I use about 2 a month, if that!

My complaint is the fact that I live in rural victoria and have to freight in a lot of goods and supplies that are unavailable in my nearest town or else drive 60kms to Ballara to procure supplies.

Rural people do miss out on a lot that city people seemed to take for granted, I can't just pop into G+G or my LHBS for a few home brew items, everything I buy for brewing is freighted in by AusPost at which IMHO is a pretty solid rate, this puts the price of my brewing up a fair bit higher.

Should the price increase be for unavoidable costing or ecomomical reasons so then be it, but the report I heard on the radio clearly stated that it was as a result of cashing in on the online shopping trend (source David Kosh on Neil Mitchell show on 3AW) and that being the case I still say "up ém"

NewtownClown said:
The $2.90 fee you rant about for a signature is actually a replacement for the product "registered post".

Some products have increased but there are more products to choose from, PLUS you can now have same day delivery of up to 22 kgs.

Aust. post was running in the red for years and now have turned around. How dare a business profit!

I say good on you Aust. for sticking around and providing us with a parcel service that is competitive with couriers - $8.95 for 22kgs posted and delivered within Sydney is a bargain.
Rant???...Mentioned in dispatch yes... Rant no .... Although I take on board that the fee is a replacement for Reg Post

Same day delivery to central Victoria for 22kgs? not likely my friend! A bag of Grain from Melb to central Vic is approx $25 and maybe the next day at the earliest!

regarding your figures for Metropolitan areas (eg: $8.95 for 22kgs posted and delivered within Sydney) whilst they are probably true they have no bearing on the actual costs of Parcels to some Rural areas whatsoever!

same day service that's a joke,might be same week service.i have had parcels sent from interstate on express post which are suppose to arrive the next day.but most times arrive a day later.complain to Snail Post and nothing happens,even the person who has sent parcel can't get any satisfaction.

QldKev said:
I can already buy a lot of items posted from Hong Kong (item + post) cheaper than I can get for just the postage cost within our own country. Postage on 3lb of hops from the US is only a couple of dollars more than post within Australia. And they need to put it up more?
I hardly buy anything here anymore.
My kids got some Mini Lop rabbits & here an automatic watering nozzle costs $6.95 + 3.95 postage.
I just ordered a pack of 20 from HK for $8.06 which included postage for the exact same thing.
I will always get my HB stuff from Aussie suppliers but having worked for Australia post as a contractor on the postie bike, they really suck.
They do do a pretty good job with deliveries but their fees are outrageous. Go to checkout on one of the sponsors websites & compare what Australia post charges to deliver the order compared to the courier fee, ridiculous.

Neil Mitchell, 3AW, it must be true, we are being screwed. Let all the business go to private operators for they would NEVER take advantage... Pitchforks at the ready! Let's go postal on the posties!

Latest posts

Back