Pale/bright ale - which hop?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drfad

Reaction score
I'm going to be putting down a pale or bright ale in the next couple of days. Last one I put down was a stone and wood clone which cleaned me out of galaxy. I want to do another similar beer but only have centennial, cascade and Nelson sauvin left.
I use a tin each of light and ultra light malt extract and sometimes some steeped grain.

Does anyone have a hop schedule that I might follow for a single hop, or even a combo of the above for a session style up to 5.8% or so?

Cheers
Fad

Hey Fad,

I used this schedule earlier this year for a lawnmower pale ale which came out a treat:

30g Centennial @ 30 minutes
15g Nelson Sauvin @ 10 minutes
20g Nelson Sauvin @ 0 min (30 min steep)
25g Nelson Sauvin dry hop

So I actually found I had another pouch of galaxy so I made the same one again. I have another fermenter I want to fill though so might try this. Do you find the Nelson sauvin is really strong? I've read it can over power.

drfad said:
...for a session style up to 5.8% or so?
you either have a head as hard as rock or we have very different ideas of what constitutes a 'session'

Personally I haven't yet made a beer with NS that I particularly like, but given others comments I'm probably in the minority so I'll keep trying. Centennial and cascade in combo are pretty awesome - I've tried various combos and schedules for those two and liked them all.

Blind Dog said:
you either have a head as hard as rock or we have very different ideas of what constitutes a 'session'

Personally I haven't yet made a beer with NS that I particularly like, but given others comments I'm probably in the minority so I'll keep trying. Centennial and cascade in combo are pretty awesome - I've tried various combos and schedules for those two and liked them all.
i agree on the Cent/Casc combo!

Blind Dog said:
Quite possibly both..

What about southern cross? Bit of that going around at the right price atm..

Latest posts

Back