Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see why not, maybe best to use the same rule as pitching onto yeast cakes though, like go from a paler, less full on beer upwards.
It's more a question as to whether there is any worth in doing it.

I'm all about doing the best beer I can with the tools/ingredients I have (who here isn't? :) ). If throwing a little slurry into the boil will give me healthier yeast in the ferment, then yippee. If it's not going to do anything, then I won't bother.

I wouldn't think the same issue applies here because the old yeast isn't producing any flavours it's killed and used as a nutrient rather than processing fermentables.
I think it's more about the flavour of the slurry - the slurry will have some hop flavour, unfermentables, etc, that will impart flavour, even if only a little. It doesn't take much chocolate malt to impart a definite flavour in a beer :)

Yeah I spose, I was thinking maybe if going from a stout to a wiezen some of the colour might rub off. Just a thought, prolly wrong though.

Back