Pale Ale. Whats The Best Yeast Fellas?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Byran

Reaction score
Im gonna brew a whole bunch of pale ales, with similar grain builds, but with different aroma additions, citra, crystal, galaxy, and a few others over the next few months and was wondering , well,

What does everybody think is the best liquid yeast for a nice crisp,hoppy pale ale?

Ive already got two different ones cubed just need to decide on a prime yeast to try.

Prob IBU between 16 and 30.

Of course I am looking for opinions and suggestions.

I have used Landlord, US05, Burton ale and Californian ale. But Im thinking you peeps with more experience would have some good feedback.

Eh?

I've used 1187 Ringwood Ale in an AIPA with very good results. Used it for a Bitter and pushed esters during ferment, then used the slurry on the AIPA, fermented it cool and the yeast profile really suited the plethora of C-hops in it.

It was good to have two very different beers on tap at once using the one yeast.

Edit - forgot the A in AIPA

I just ran out of US05, but to be honest, I am happy to see the back of it for now. I am thinking of switching to 1272, which I haven't used in a while, purely because I am seriously sick of yeast that requires such effort to get out of suspension. Of course, this is why it makes a good clean beer, but it is pissing me off. I figure if you treat a flocculant yeast well in terms of nutrients, pitch rate, O2 and ferm temp, you should be able to get a very crisp clean beer that is bright as soon as you drop the temp. And if you want to match the attenuation of the 1056/US05, then just mash lower.

So, my vote is 1272 treated well.

Mark's home brew has pacman yeast too. 1272, pacman, white labs wlp090, all something a little different for US style ales. Kolsch/Alt yeast does a good APA too but it is even worse at flocculating than us05 usually.

I used to be a '1272 only' type of brewer for APA, but when my supplier was out, I tried 1332. Just brilliant. I'll be with this one for a while yet.

Thanks everyone I see a lot of 1272 so I will get hold of some and give it a crack on both a crystal and a citra ale.
Id prob do some english after these two.

I think clean flavours will be nice after the last two english browns I did, they were pretty spicey with the Burton ale strain.

1056 American ale and 1469 Yorkshire have both been very good yeasts for me. 1056 has been known to attenuate a lot more than I expected resulting higher alcohol content, but hey who's complaining?

I have a vial of wlp008 which I am pretty keen to give a go.

I'm just running through a few APA's with a 1272 slurry at the moment, but will be giving the 008 a try in the next month or so I think.

Sounded decent from the reviews I had read on it.

My favourite yeasts for Pale Ales

For an American wlp090, or if you want more tart then 1272

For an English 1469

For an Aussie (CPA) use the original Coopers yeast

My favourite yeasts for Pale Ales

For an American wlp090, or if you want more tart then 1272

For an English 1469

For an Aussie (CPA) use the original Coopers yeast
I done a few with the bottle yeast from coopers green. It gives a nice fruity ester.
I havent tried to add aroma hops to beers Ive made with it though. Does it work?

I done a few with the bottle yeast from coopers green. It gives a nice fruity ester.
I havent tried to add aroma hops to beers Ive made with it though. Does it work?

I've never tried late hops with it either, the CPA recipe doesn't call for any late hops additions. I've made the no sugar version many times. It's a great drop and cheap as to make.

QldKev

Funny you ask this. I've just this minute racked a batch to secondary to get some of the yeast for another batch.

This was the recipe, it's awesome so far - the esters highlight the hops brilliantly. Ferment at least at 20C.

Amarillo & Cascade AAA (American Amber Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.056 (P): 13.8
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (P): 3.6
Alcohol (ABV): 5.50 %
Colour (SRM): 15.2 (EBC): 29.9
Bitterness (IBU): 34.5 (Average)

86.63% Pale Ale Malt
9.9% Caramunich III
2.48% Melanoidin
0.99% Roasted Barley

2.6 g/L Amarillo (9.2% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
1.8 g/L Cascade (5.8% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 64C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20C with WLP009 - Australian Ale

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

And just added a cup of that yeast to this (kind of a simple AusPA to tastes just the esters, and not PoR):

Cascade CPA
Australian Pale Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 17.0
Total Grain (kg): 3.700
Total Hops (g): 25.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.050 (P): 12.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (P): 3.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.91 %
Colour (SRM): 3.2 (EBC): 6.3
Bitterness (IBU): 37.2 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
3.700 kg Pilsner (100%)

Hop Bill
----------------
25.0 g Cascade Pellet (8.9% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.5 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 64C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20C with WLP009 - Australian Ale

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Back