Pairing Beer With Various Foods

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*hop*cone*

Reaction score
G'day,

Is there any of us who profess to know what foods are complimented by various beer styles. I saw a segment on a TV show about beer (9am with David and Kim) and I came in on the last 2 mins of the interview with a gent name Willie Simpson. It has got me thinking of a nice way to enjoy a few ales and lagers with a few friends. So is there any suggestions as to what type of foods heighten for example hop character, malt body etc.

Cheers,

*hop*cone*

Hi Hop Cone,

I really like experiementing with beer and food. My personal favourites include Willie Simpsons suggestiong of Stout with a super rich chocolate gatue or similar.

I think about it a bit like wine. Pilsners and wheat beers go really well with white flesh, a spicey wit with say prawns and crab. Where as denser more powerfully flavoured beers like strong ales, bocks with stronger flavoured meets.

A famous pairing is Newcastle Brown with apple pie.

What about a Honey Porter with a honey glazed pork.

Lamb with rosemary, mustard and garlic with a maibock.

Heff Weizen with a mashed bannana on fresh white bread with honey.

Just a few.

Lets get a big list together.

Cheers Tim

I think a food and beer pairing thread was posted some time back which may reveal some good mixings.My thoughts are beer and any food and im happy. :rolleyes:

Cheers
Big D

3 guys. 9 beers on tap. 4.5 kg of ribs.

Bring on Bathurst Sunday.
:beer:

BBQ Steak & a glass of bock is a match made in heaven :wub:

cheers Ross

Lister from Red Dwarf can;t be wrong.... :blink: Curry and Lager :p

Actually I really love having a Pale ale with curry. ;)

I do know something about pairing wine and food, and the general idea is to pick wine that matches the food i.e. full-bodied wine with heavy, rich food; fresh, light styles of wine with light food such as salad; sweet wines with dessert. I imagine that the same idea can be applied to beer.

It's important however not to get too caught up in it all, i reckon if you like what you're drinking and you like what you're eating then they'd probably make a pretty good combination.

Of course, frogman's suggestion never fails: lots of beer, large quantities of meat. :p

Cheers,
Daz

Plowmans Lunch (3 cheeses, fresh bread, cutney and salad) with british real ale. brilliant lunch...

If you are really interested in this pick up a book called "The Brewmasters Table". It is by Garret Oliver. He is the Brewmaster at Brooklyn Brewery in New York. He has done extensive travel and writing on this topic. Besides having a lot of great information it if a fantastic read and you can tell he is very passionate about his beer and food.

Probably also worth having a look at this thread where it has been discussed previously:

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...?showtopic=9041

10 pints of english extra special bitter + roast beef, roast spuds, roast pumkin, roast carrots, peas, gravy, stuffing, yorkshire puddings + The FA Cup but with Gerrads goal not happening in injury time, blend nicely together.

VB and a late night lamb sandwich :ph34r:

Seriously, one of my favourite pairings is Stilton Cheese and a porter or stout.

C&B
TDA

Only foods that I enjoy a beer with are snacky foods(savory biscuits+cheeses ect), pizza and bbq's.

Besides that I normally stop drinking while I eat.

My ethnic mate does chicken wings in a weber plus European lager, not too filling. Otherwise drink most of the beer before you eat, barley wine with the meal and a few single malts afterwards.

Latest posts

Back