Paint Job For The Fermentation Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
My fermentation fridge is looking a little weary (well it only cost $50 on eBay), and I was thinking over Xmas I might give it a paint job.

Can anyone recommend the best way to prepare it (ie. remove the spot fridge rust) and then what is the best paint (any product names, paint types etc) to use to paint it up ?

Beers,
Doc

sandpaper... :)

you will also need to use an etch primer on any bits that are bare metal :)

you might also have to take into account whether your fridge is enameled or powder coated..

...mmm yes.... sandpaper.
You mean like wet and dry ?

Doc

Doc,
There are various degrees you can go to with this job. There is a product that is made specifically for whitegoods. I can't remember its name, but it'll jump out at you when you look at Bunnings. Wet and dry is good for the initial sanding. Here's what I'd do:

1. Sand back any rusty areas until the surface is flat with a coarse grade of wet and dry. At this stage, using it dry on an orbital sander would be fine. There is no need to remove sound paint back to bare metal, but make sure there are no distinct edges where the old paint meets metal. It should be a smooth transition.
2. Clean the surface completely free of dust with metho or paint thinner.
3. Apply rust converter to any spot rust still visible. Wait until it turns black and dries completely then fill any spots with automotive putty (bog).
4. Sand wet (using a block) any puttied areas.
5. Prime the entire section you are going to paint with the primer recommended for the paint you are going to use.
6. Lightly sand the primer with wet, fine grade wet and dry (1200 or so).
7. Paint. You could use the cans of fridge enamel/whitegoods paint, but why not spruce it up a bit with automotive paint? There is a huge range of touch-up paints. If you see a car colour you like, chances are you can get a can of spray enamel to match it.
8. Once the paint is 100% dry and cured (couple of days), buff. Either with very fine wet and dry (2400 or so) or with enamel cutting compound, a soft rag and water.
9. Polish.

Main things to look out for:

Appropriate primer for both the existing paint and the new paint.

Clean solvent free and dust free surfaces before anyting goes on.

Apply several thin coats rather than one thick coat.

Make sure you treat the rust spots.

Don't leave bare metal exposed for too long or it'll rust.

Fantastic PoMo. That sounds like the treatment.
I'm thinking metallic silver will look the goods.

Beers,
Doc

Is this experience from case painting PoMo? B)

kook said:
Is this experience from case painting PoMo? B)
No. I have a beige PC. The experience is from playing with cheap cars in my teens... and research for my vintage dub bus restoration.

Doc, I forgot a step there. Make sure that you "degloss" the entire fridge with sandpaper before you prime. Primer and paint won't take to a polished surface, you have to rough it up a bit to provide a key for the primer to bond to. I've also left out the obvious stuff like masking off parts you don't want to get paint on, like the coils at the back, handles etc. If you can, remove the handles before you paint and put them back on afterwards. Also make sure your work area is dust free yet well ventilated.

Doc said:
I'm thinking metallic silver will look the goods.
LOL. Fake Stainless Steel. Good luck getting a consistent result! Shouldn't be ~too~ hard. Practice on something like a piece of sheet metal first maybe?

Good luck Doc. Be sure and post piccies :)

Doc,

I've used touch up cans of a paint called 'Appliance enamel' made specifically for whitegoods. I've only ever seen it in white though.
I think I got it from Bunnings.
I did as PoMo said and treated the rust spots first. The paint was still looking good after 3 years when the fridge packed it in!

Doc,
Did you end up painting the fridge? If so, how did it go, and was it much work?

I'm asking because I'm about to inherit a very ugly fridge for free with lots of spot rust. Was thinking of either doing the paint job, or whacking a SS facia on it (I can get good pricing on the SS from work).

Cheers

Boots,

Nah, I didn't end up getting it done.
We ended up having family stay over xmas so didn't get the time to prep the fridge and paint it.
Still on the agenda, but not sure when I'll get the time.
Maybe Easter :huh:

Doc

Doc
I saw a good looking bar fridge the other day when I was working at a blokes house.
What he had done was got some "stick on" aluminium checker plate look alike dress up sheet and fitted this on to the front of his fridge.
Looked really good.
I think he got the stick on stuff from an automotive parts supply place.
Just worth a thought!

Big Beer Belly

That's what I was planning on doing with the stainless steel.

If it doesn't work out too expensive, it'd be heaps easier.

Well I'm still planning on painting it up, although it looks like I won't get a chance to do it until June.

Having found this link I'm thinking BLACK looks the go.

Beers,
Doc

Finished_FaucetTray.jpg

looks good doc
mind you mine looks like that english beer..
old speckled hen.
covered in red under coat sploches with the original white bits.
not very pretty at all but very efficient in doing its job.
part of the character of my tropical brewhaus. :unsure:

b d
ceo
big d,s brewhaus

I've actually almost finished mine. I spray painted it black (using 3 x $3.95 cans of paint). Considering how bad it looked (it looked terrible) it came up looking ok.

I've got a flat sheet of stainless on the front door, and have replaced the inner shelves on the door with PVC coated MDF. All I have to do is put my new seal on and she's all done.

I'll post pics (before and after) once it's done.
B)

Looking forward to seeing them Boots

Gotta love this site , so many ideas get shared

Back