Paddle 2005

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiller

Reaction score
Paddle 2005:

Picture this .......................

The scene is the boss's office of Micro brewery "X", you are the brewer and have been called in to save the day. Sales have slumped.

The marketing department headed by Bruce, with assistance from Bruce, Bruce and Bill [confusing I know] have just completed a survey of the Australian drinking public in the 18 - 32 year old demographic.

Bruce has identified some disturbing trends in the drinking world. Both men and women were surveyed and a cross section of habits [drinking] were polled.

As part of the survey Bruce from the R&D department [no relation to Bruce in marketing] has formulated and brewed [Bruce is a keen homebrewer in his spare time] a series of test beers from the brewery. Bruce is also a fan of Monty Python.

The survey results aren't in yet but Bruce from Accounting has already stipulated any new beer must have only locally grown and malted or roasted grain with a consession to imported yeast and hops.

It is your task as the brewer to start thinking of a new "Australian Session beer".

When Bruce from marketing has collated all the survey results you can have the details and the first glimpse at how you will formulate this beer.

Bruce from Home Brew sales muttered that it will never work but no one listens to Bruce anymore after you revived the status of low gravity all grain brewing this year. This years effort is already receiving rave reviews throughout the country.

In the next week or two the survey results will be available and you will be able to start trial brewing.

I hope the above gives you something to think on for the next "Paddle" :D

Steve Nicholls.

I've got the HLT lit up already Steve!
Cheers

so - are we brewing/comparing to the commercial....

dare I say it.....

Monty Pythons Holy Graile .....

I spoke to Bruce in marketing and he wishes you all the best. Muttered something about fish as he staggered out.

:chug:

Steve

Let us all be up standing

and recite after me

THIS IS A DEAD PARROT !

For you Wedge!!

Paddle 2005:

Picture this .......................

The scene is the boss's office of Micro brewery "X", you are the brewer and have been called in to save the day. Sales have slumped.

The marketing department headed by Bruce, with assistance from Bruce, Bruce and Bill [confusing I know] have just completed a survey of the Australian drinking public in the 18 - 32 year old demographic.

Bruce has identified some disturbing trends in the drinking world. Both men and women were surveyed and a cross section of habits [drinking] were polled.

As part of the survey Bruce from the R&D department [no relation to Bruce in marketing] has formulated and brewed [Bruce is a keen homebrewer in his spare time] a series of test beers from the brewery. Bruce is also a fan of Monty Python.

The survey results aren't in yet but Bruce from Accounting has already stipulated any new beer must have only locally grown and malted or roasted grain with a consession to imported yeast and hops.

It is your task as the brewer to start thinking of a new "Australian Session beer".

When Bruce from marketing has collated all the survey results you can have the details and the first glimpse at how you will formulate this beer.

Bruce from Home Brew sales muttered that it will never work but no one listens to Bruce anymore after you revived the status of low gravity all grain brewing this year. This years effort is already receiving rave reviews throughout the country.

In the next week or two the survey results will be available and you will be able to start trial brewing.

I hope the above gives you something to think on for the next "Paddle"

Steve Nicholls.

Sounds great.
Micro brew money making and marketing. I guess what we are up agaisnt here is beers like that of maltida bay and MSB etc. Or are we aiming at people who don't ussually drink micro brewed beer.

Looking forward to it

Jayse

Bruce from marketing hasn't got all the survey info collated as yet.

Steve

Evening ladies and Bruces.

I'm looking forward to entering next year's Mash Paddle and think that the Great Australian Session Beer is a fantastic idea. I would have to ask, why stop at local grains? Why not all Australian (or even Australasian) ingredients, hops and yeast strains included?

Cheers,
Bruce.

This is a bottle with a message in it and the message is, "Beware!" This is not a beer for drinking, this is a beer for laying down and avoiding.

In regards to PoMo's argument.
you will find i think that a lot of the good aussie grown hops that the swill brewers use are not all available to us. (Also note bruce has a micro brewery not a swill brewery.)
Also the yeasts they use are of european origins so unless we get the yeast from the breweries themselves then we are very limited to the yeasts we can get that are produced in Australia.
So i see no reason why any brewery no mater how much money they are trying to save would not get its first batch of yeast from the source where ever that maybe.
Good ideas from PoMo i think but there is maybe more in it than what PoMo suggests.
I do like the idea you raise but there are some flaws in it. As is the beer in question and ones made by others such as other micro brewery money making beers do include at least one part from outside oz.
Anyway this all depends on the beer we are making.
You'll see steve's post says 'micro' brewery so i think it is safe to say the beer to be made will be more like a for example matida bay beer rather than a CUB beer.
Even a MSB beer or any other of the top micros' like mountain goat which all use hops and yeast from outside oz.

anyway i think all these things will get sorted when the bruces' sit down and work out what they want..
Jayse

I was thinking of HopCo hops (which is why I said Australasia rather than Australia)... I've currently got some nice NZ sourced Hallertau flowers, NZ Styrian Goldings, Aust Hallertau, Aust Willamette... there are more hops grown locally than just POR (I also have a kilo of them)..

Maybe yeasts could be cultured from Coopers Ales or Little Creatures.... or just good ole 514 :D I realise yeast is the biggest problem. Anyway, I think if you're going to craft an "Australian Beer", as many of the ingredients should be locally produced as possible, no?

Is this the right room for an argument?

I've told you once

No you have'nt

spam, spam, aussie grain, spam, spam, kiwi hops, spam, foreign yeast and spam?

But I don't like spam !

Brother Maynard!

Consult the book of Armaments!

I do see where your coming from PoMo and i do think it is a good idea on the hop varrieties being some of those you mentioned.
Just saying that they are not that commonly available through homebrew shops.
Not that they are impossible to get just the most of them are brought by CUB and others before they are even harvested.
Anyway i think that hop idea is very possible as that is properly what the micro breweries owned by the giants do such as MSB and matilda bay.
Even LC is half owned by the giants now is it not?and are proberly using more aussie cluster than cascade than they once did.
anyway iam really looking forward to this.

Batz i don't think we are arguing as such, not like me and GMK on chat sometimes. :ph34r:
Just debating valid points.

Stu settle nothing wrong with aussie produce.
Like PoMo says there's more to Australia than Pride of ringworm.

Can't wait for the bruces' to get there stuff sorted and we can start brewing

Jayse

Back