Pacific Ale - Dry Hop Alternative

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bax

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've put down a batch of the Stone and Wood Pacific Ale, now I've done this before and I've enjoyed the recipe, but this time around, I don't have any additional Galaxy to dry hop with.
And I strained the hops out when they went into the fermenter.

So I'm fearing it may be a little on the tame side when it comes to the aroma.

I've got a bit leftover, lots of Citra, but I've also got some Nelson Sauvin amongst others, Maybe I could do 20g of both?

Just go Citra and leave the NS out.
Citra is a great dry hop.
NS is hair of the devils gonads.

I've heard good things about dry hopping with NS!

But yeah fair enough, hopefully I have enough Citra in all my half empty packets.

A couple I'd go with would be:

- Experimental Grapefruit
- Simcoe
- Centennial
- Brooklyn (Moutere)

Cheers,

Pete

Sorry to take this a bit off-topic. My question is in regards to Galaxy pellets vs flowers for S&W clone.

I have recently brewed and kegged Bacchus Brewing/Craftbrewer Rock and Timber. As per recommendation I dry hopped with flowers vs pellets. I dry hopped in the keg with 60g of Galaxy in 3 teaballs - 20g each teaball.

IMO the aroma isn't that close to Stone and Wood. Would this be because I used too much (I don't think this would be it), or the fact the flowers weren't fresh. They were 2014 or 2015 (can't remember) crop flowers. I now see they have 2016 crop Galaxy flowers and pellets in stock. I am not sure too give it another go with this year's crop or just stick to pellets and forget flowers as IMO, it didn't have the same aroma as a S&W.

What amounts and what form of hops has given people the closest aroma to the commercial Pacific Ale>

You can get an almost exact copy with 120g pellets. Make sure you dry hop at fermenting temps not cold and i rack to secondary before dry going because yeast will interplay with the hop aroma

Coodgee said:
You can get an almost exact copy with 120g pellets. Make sure you dry hop at fermenting temps not cold and i rack to secondary before dry going because yeast will interplay with the hop aroma
Is this for a 20 litre batch?

Probably best to give a grams per litre example for dry hopping

I whimped out a little and only added 30g of Citra dry. Was in there for 2 days before crashing. I'll go to a secondary and bottle on the weekend.

23L batch.

What timing, going to dry hop my S&W PA clone this evening, was leaning towards 60gm but 120gm it is!

Is the difference between dry hopping in primary as opposed to secondary that noticeable Coodgee?

And yes, 30gm of citra is wimpy AF

Reedy said:
What timing, going to dry hop my S&W PA clone this evening, was leaning towards 60gm but 120gm it is!

Is the difference between dry hopping in primary as opposed to secondary that noticeable Coodgee?

And yes, 30gm of citra is wimpy AF
It was just a tip i got from a yank podcast. I think it was Jameel (spelling?) Who said the only reason he uses a secondary now is for a dry hop.

Bax said:
Hey guys,

I've put down a batch of the Stone and Wood Pacific Ale, now I've done this before and I've enjoyed the recipe, but this time around, I don't have any additional Galaxy to dry hop with.
And I strained the hops out when they went into the fermenter.

So I'm fearing it may be a little on the tame side when it comes to the aroma.

I've got a bit leftover, lots of Citra, but I've also got some Nelson Sauvin amongst others, Maybe I could do 20g of both?
any chance of the recipe

There is a really good recipe in the recipe section here. It's spot on when you use a 6grams/l dry hop. ...and maybe drop the munich.

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/recipe/877-sticks-and-stones/

I did a side-by-side comparison and it is really close. some of their batches are different though. mostly in mouthfeel. you can get some really silky pints and some really watery ones.

Rod said:
any chance of the recipe
It's floating around here somewhere. It's an extract recipe.

[SIZE=10.5pt]Recipe: 109 Stone & Wood Pacific Ale[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: Extract

Recipe Specifications[/SIZE]
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.038 SG
Estimated Color: 4.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 20.8 IBU

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.50 kg Coopers Liquid Light Extract (3.5 EBC) Extract 50.00 %
1.50 kg Coopers Liquid Wheat Malt Extract (4.2 EBC) Extract 50.00 %
10.00 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (20 min) Hops 11.0 IBU
15.00 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (10 min) Hops 9.9 IBU
20.00 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs American Ale US05 Yeast-Ale

Bring
4L of water and approx 520g of the light extract to the boil. Add 10g Galaxy hops, after 10 minutes add another 15g Galaxy hops, after another 10 minutes take off the heat and add the final 20g Galaxy Hops. I usually put the lid on the pot for the last 2 minutes so that the steam sterilizes the lid.

While this is boiling add a few litres of water to the fermenter and then the rest of the malt extract, stir thoroughly. Cool the pot in a sink of cold water and then add to the fermenter (I don't strain the hops out). Top up to 23L. Pitch the yeast and ferment at 18C. I bottled after 3 weeks.
the Spreadsheet on here doesn't line up with those figures. I think I had OG of 1.039, and I doubt it'll be 20.8 IBU.

But I'm about to bottle it and I'll see how it turns out.

You're lucky to have lots of Citra, sold out near me.

I've had a lot of success emulating the iconic Aussie pale ale style differently when galaxy is unavailable.

Very late addition of topaz
Then dry hop with Vic secret.

Good thing is both are easy to come by and cheaper than Citra.

Bax said:
It's floating around here somewhere. It's an extract recipe.

the Spreadsheet on here doesn't line up with those figures. I think I had OG of 1.039, and I doubt it'll be 20.8 IBU.

But I'm about to bottle it and I'll see how it turns out.
Good old recipe 109. This is actually my recipe. I'm curious what IBU you get with spreadsheet.

earle said:
Good old recipe 109. This is actually my recipe. I'm curious what IBU you get with spreadsheet.
Hey earle, credit where credit is due. I've made it before many moons ago and really enjoyed it. Haven't brewed in a while and this was my fall back so well done.

Extract spreadsheet spits out

IBU

EBC

Back