Oztops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poodz

Reaction score
I just bought some oztops and have a question for those that have used them. I added some yeast to apple juice and left to ferment for 4 days. The bottle looking like a balloon suggested to me that fermentation was well under way so after 4 days i figured id have a reasonably good alcohol concentration. I wacked it in the fridge for 2 days and then tried it... It tasted nice, too nice in fact, it was basically carbonated apple juice but very little alcohol (i couldnt taste it, i had 2 glasses and felt nothing, and the drink was still sweet). So i left it out on the bench with a tea towel around hoping for some more action. After 3 days, the bottle looks like a balloon again so ive put it in the fridge and will try it tomorrow.

Anyway my question is this, even though the juice was well carbonated, the alcohol content was very low, is this a usual occurance if the temp is not right (ie. temps were too low for quite some time)? and what is the best way to ferment the oztops? It seems as though my kitchen cupbourd is not warm enough, what have you all found to be the best way without building a fermentation box with globe and thermostat? Could the old heat belt work, or would that be too hot for a 2 litre bottle, or would a towel be enough???

Please let me know what works best?

Thanks,

Jim.

In the kit I got, there are two yeasts. One works from 15-30c the other from 20-30C. Obviously use the colder one in the winter and leave it in a warm part of the house. Depends where you live, but you might not need a heat belt. I don't use one just leave it in the room with the heater.

After 3 days, I agree, it is still too sweet and pretty mild alcohol-wise. Leave it to ferment and try it each day until you figure out how many days suits your tastes. Don't need to put it in the frig, just taste out of the bottle or use some ice. After a few brews you will have it sussed.

I have one in the frig now - cloudy apple juice fermented for six days with a small stick of cinnamon and a clove. Very reasonable drink.

My house gets real cold in winter, cause we arent home much the heaters hardly ever on and only ever on at night in the 1 room. I guess its a trial and error thing.

Will u lose carbonation if u keep opening to sample though? a softy doesnt last all that long once opened...

im in the same area as you I think Poodz(Tea Tree Gully Area) and i have the same problem with the cold in winter here. I usually leave mine in the cupboard for atleast 5 days and then refridgerate. Definately use the the cold tolerant yeast in winter.

Remember you can still give the bottle a shake now and then to make sure the yeast is active and happy, just make sure you have your thumb over the cap.

Cheers pr1me.

Im in Ridgehaven, moving to nuriootpa in a week or 2 though for about 10/11 weeks (im a contact teacher...)

maybe ill get a taste for wine???

Latest posts

Back