Oztops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pr1me

Reaction score
Hey folks, went up to grumpys on the weekend and bought one of those oztops kits for turning juice into quick moonshine....

i left some pure apple and apple/grape mix with the yeasites for two days... and jesus does it make a nice brew in a short time, for extremely little elbow work too.

Apparently if i leave it for over 8 days to ferment, it can yield as much as 17% alcohol. might try that next.

for some quick and easy lolly water though guys, highly recommended for the lazy brewer, or lazy brewers wife ;-)

agree pr1me
i brought some on my trip to adelaide at goliaths
when i got home brought some juice
4 days later in the fridge, not to bad.
girlfriend likes it very much.
save me trying to brew a beer she likes only to say
nahh its not quite like i wanted? and me drinking it.

actually ive got only going at work for the guys to try on friday arvo.

cheer
crackers

i use the lids for my starters. A lot easier than releasing the pressure every few hours! ;)

Just a thought, could you tap some brew out of your primary into a couple of bottles and let them ferment out with oztops? Would that give you carbonated bottled beer (just a little green) to sample while the rest of the brew was still in secondary?

...just a thought...

the carbonation would probably be pretty average and i would be suprised if it would carbonate all that faster :eek:

Oztops were the inspiration for "soztops"

The article is at Its just not beer.

AppleCider.jpg

sosman said:

The article is at Its just not beer.
sweet setup sosman, i might try this as I have a few spare airlocks and gromets, what size drill bit did you use to tap the hole?

sosman said:
That's exactly how I make all of my starters. Start with one litre water with 100g DME, ferment out, add a second litre then pitch 90% at high krausen. Keep the last 10%, add a litre and 100g DME, ferment out, top to 2 litres with cooled boiled water, swirl, then bottle in stubbies. One vial/smack pack turns into a brew and 6 stubbies for new starters.

I've found that oztops ferment hideously slow when you follow the directions on paper.

havent had problems at this end, been using yeast No.1 and after 48 hours been getting about 4% lolly water. Been brewing the oztops in a dark pantry at about 25 - 29 C.

pr1me said:
sweet setup sosman, i might try this as I have a few spare airlocks and gromets, what size drill bit did you use to tap the hole?
IIRC it was 8 mm. I just measured the groove diameter with a vernier and drilled whatever that was (maybe a smidgeon smaller).

PostModern said:
That's exactly how I make all of my starters. Start with one litre water with 100g DME, ferment out, add a second litre then pitch 90% at high krausen. Keep the last 10%, add a litre and 100g DME, ferment out, top to 2 litres with cooled boiled water, swirl, then bottle in stubbies.
I have been making starters but my method has been a bit haphazard (even more so since I destroyed my indestructible conical flask).

One thing I had been doing was to settle the yeast and toss out most of the liquid to minimise off-flavours - which I had been told was likely due to things like warmer fermentation temps (I didn't put these in my fermentation fridge).

If I read you right you pitch the whole lot, spent wort and all. Perhaps I am being too paranoid about off-flavours in starters.

Back